Juniper rescue

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Hauled out of the push over pile at a local nursery, I think the fact the root ball was buried in mulch and debris kept if from drying out like some of the others near the top of the pile. After I got in there I found tons more but it was hot and I diddnt have digging gear with me so I'll have to go back. Lady said take em free we can't use em, that knot of a trunk is about 2-3 inches in diameter and seems to go well below the clay soil lineIMG_20160802_165116657.jpg IMG_20160802_165213200.jpg I watered the crap out of it with super thrive and going to wait to see if it starts bouncing back, then try some fertilizer to help gain some strength before winter. Any thoughts? Or approach? I could prob cut some of the dead stuff out or wait til recovery before making any decisions.

don b

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man! I hope to find some material like this. Great to practice making Jin/Shari. Nurse that baby back to life and good luck!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to be a Dougie Downer but it's probably not going to make it. First, it needs to be in the shade. Second, don't fertilize it. Third, the soil looks like mud.

If you're going to give it a fighting chance, correct the first two. As for the soil, there's not much you can do about it now. Try to keep it moist and mist the foliage several times a day. You'll know within the next six to eight months if it's going to make it. Good luck!

I collected five junipers three years ago in the month of September for someone who "wanted them gone". Today only one of them survives. Three died off in the first six months and one took a whole year to finally die.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Not to be a Dougie Downer but it's probably not going to make it. First, it needs to be in the shade. Second, don't fertilize it. Third, the soil looks like mud.

If you're going to give it a fighting chance, correct the first two. As for the soil, there's not much you can do about it now. Try to keep it moist and mist the foliage several times a day. You'll know within the next six to eight months if it's going to make it. Good luck!

I collected five junipers three years ago in the month of September for someone who "wanted them gone". Today only one of them survives. Three died off in the six months and one took a whole year to finally die.
I know they can be dead well before they ever show signs of it. And the trees was only in that spot while I watered it and got some pics, yes the dirt, I know it sucks, it's what was available to get the tree into something at the nursery, since the clay lump of a root ball was what I pulled out of the pile. It's in the green house in a vented corner so it gets airflow but not wind and not much water. And it was free Dougie.

Top Bottom