Juniper rescue

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Another mower hit and halfway out of the ground, not much in the way of roots, so hope it lives, pretty much a Bonsai already. It was in a short planter hanging over the wall and looks like it got hit Thursday, noticed it Saturday dug it up pack it in wet soil from the area then potted it at home. DSCN6249.JPG DSCN6247.JPG DSCN6248.JPG

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good lookin' tree but depending on the roots I'd leave it alone for a while. It isn't quite the same thing but when I collect California junipers I sometimes don't repot them for five years until they get really strong and established root systems.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Give it at least a year before you mess with it. Just make sure it is anchored in its pot so that the wind does not drive it out of the pot. Don't panic if it turns yellow in places, according to Kimura this is a good sign that the tree is active.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes you need to upgrades to the black pot like I did.

20171030_061355-3024x2268.jpg

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
that pot was what I had on hand that would fit the long trunk/roots. I plan to leave it in that for at least a year. I've been about 75 percent successful on moving junipers like this so far. This one is really cool. I did move the pot yesterday into more sun and it seems stable in the pot now.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
that pot was what I had on hand that would fit the long trunk/roots. I plan to leave it in that for at least a year. I've been about 75 percent successful on moving junipers like this so far. This one is really cool. I did move the pot yesterday into more sun and it seems stable in the pot now.

A juniper takes several months to respond to a change in environment. I'm not trying to get you down, I'm just saying you won't know if that tree is going to live for at least six months. Knowing that it is going to die - that can happen overnight :(

When I pull a juniper from a landscape or field location, it goes into sun protection for 3 - 6 months depending on time of year. Bigger trees go into Anderson flats... and I don't transplant them again until I see roots coming out the bottom.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You also live in Florida where the humidity is much friendlier for transplanting trees. In Southern California we have to go to extreme lengths to baby conifers with weak roots. It is not unusual to hear of people using humidity tents and misters. I will use a humidity tent on a tree that seems really weak or that I know has limited/weak roots. However for the most part I can get away with shade and twice-daily waterings (with good open soil mix) - as well as making sure that I don't do any root work in the heat of the summer.

When the Santa Ana hot dry winds are blowing down here, if you have a recently repotted tree that you aren't protecting, it can die between sunrise and sunset. You will come out to look at it and it truly looks like someone freeze-dried it. The foliage will be grey green... but desiccated. It is a dead tree walking :) This is true even for trees collected out in the desert.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You also live in Florida where the humidity is much friendlier for transplanting trees. In Southern California we have to go to extreme lengths to baby conifers with weak roots. It is not unusual to hear of people using humidity tents and misters. I will use a humidity tent on a tree that seems really weak or that I know has limited/weak roots. However for the most part I can get away with shade and twice-daily waterings (with good open soil mix) - as well as making sure that I don't do any root work in the heat of the summer.

When the Santa Ana hot dry winds are blowing down here, if you have a recently repotted tree that you aren't protecting, it can die between sunrise and sunset. You will come out to look at it and it truly looks like someone freeze-dried it. The foliage will be grey green... but desiccated. It is a dead tree walking :) This is true even for trees collected out in the desert.

Been there done that. It is disheartening because you think it is going to be alright and then boom.......firewood.

Top Bottom