Juniper restyle

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my first trees. Procumbins nana, purchased 25 yrs ago as a starter. Grew it like a Christmas tree while I learned more about bonsai. 15 yrs ago cut off all branches less the lowest right and made a semi-cascade. Picture below earlier this month.
D357DB7F-5CAA-4216-953B-0B162CB93B9F.jpeg
Tilted up, better orientation of trunk and primary branch65F6D66F-4601-40D4-BF59-3A88BCD4C009.jpeg
Thin out canopy
FCFCFF39-BD5B-4597-B0AB-FB8478537E81.jpeg
Final styling. Goals were to reproportion foliage. Soft triangle, long side to right. Apex pushed a bit to left, tree moving right without feeling like it is falling over. Repot next. Will update post. 658675DB-5FA9-4672-93E3-16F86667FB1B.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nicely created.
This is just my thought process...and I cannot see the tree in person to know exactly what something looks like. I’d stare at the very top “arrow” formed by the two top branches and find a way to change away from an arrow. My view just gets stuck on the arrow. I thought about it this way....attached. Just my way of thinking.
A40A2E89-90AE-4DF1-8EFE-973CF07A1580.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nicely created.
This is just my thought process...and I cannot see the tree in person to know exactly what something looks like. I’d stare at the very top “arrow” formed by the two top branches and find a way to change away from an arrow. My view just gets stuck on the arrow. I thought about it this way....attached. Just my way of thinking.
View attachment 293393
You saw an arrow, I immediately thought of this one:
1200px-Cristo_Redentor_-_Rio_de_Janeiro%2C_Brasil.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@james - I like what you have done. Nice. Really nice.
I would shorten up the low left branch, or wire it to come a little bit forward, rather than to the left. To me the foliage volume is a touch too wide. I probably would have jinned the left branch rather than the center branches. But that is my taste, there is more than one way to go.

I would keep the whole tree moving to the right. I do like the new angle for the trunk, it does look more stable. Actually nicely stable, not falling down. The jin up top I would eventually shorten by at least a third. But I would do it by pulling fibers, rather than cutting it off. Use a pliers, take a few fibers of wood off at a time. The technique is tedious, but can leave a very natural looking jin.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your comments. I’ve included two new pics to try to address the arrow head top, as was pointed out. I think this is present, and looks more or less obvious, depending on viewing angle. D70D086D-BA4A-4A0E-944B-307860BA45E6.jpegABDF26C1-B261-45AF-B5AD-F50D2D4907E7.jpeg

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regarding top jin, I will wait until I see all the foliage fill in, and consider the overall proportions. The top was even taller with a fancy wiggle, until a windstorm blew the tree over and took it off.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice color on the tree foliage, trunk and deadwood. Looks natural. Nice work you've done.

Top Bottom