Juniper Restyling Discussion

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
At the recent 41st Annual Mid-America Bonsai Exhibition, I was admiring this Juniper which won second place in the show.
Co-incidentally, a picture of the tree from the Sept. 2016 5th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition was also present in the

issue of the BCI Magazine that was available free at the show. Upon further research I found that this tree won
2nd place in the Artisan's Cup held in Sept. 2015.
I found it interesting to note some subtle differences in its development and why the artist made the changes

.TAC_Media_Winner_02_TimPriest.jpgIMG_1476.JPGIMG_1467.JPG
.................. 2015....................................2016...................................2018...................

I was curious to hear other opinions about the changes.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I believe the original styling was by Ryan Neil and the latest styling was by Mauro.

This is such an amazing tree in person.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That left branch is moved so low, it's almost disrupting my view of the lower part of the trunk line, could also be the angle of the picture.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is incredible in person. In my opinion the tree has too much foliage especially low. The extra foliage low gives this tree too much of a shrub like appearance. Amazing material and really powerful tree though.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I too like the first styling. The r. branch that was removed really added to the movement of the tree. Much more static/boring now imo.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
HI Dave. I guess one can ask, what's better deadwood? The little piece of newish dw, or the awesome twisty trunk with old interesting dw. jmho ;))

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The tree suffered from how it was displayed. Being out in the center of the gallery there were too many distractions visible behind it. No matter what side of the tree you approached there were usually people or other trees behind it, making less easy to ''see'' the lines of the tree for the busy background. I ended up walking past it hardly noticing it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The original styling featured multiple smaller pads of foliage. The latest styling has fewer, larger masses of foliage.

On a large tree like this, I prefer the styling that has the smaller pads. I believe this lets the eye (and the birds) “fly thru”.

On the other hand, the original image looks “freshly styled”. I believe this tree probably would have appeared best about two months after the Artisan’s Cup. Still featuring small pads, but a bit “softer”.

All that said, it’s a magnificent tree! And seeing it at different times shows how on going maintenance and restyling can after the appearance of our bonsai. Bonsai is NOT just the creation of a tree from raw stock, it is the on-going maintenance and improvement of the trees over time.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At the recent 41st Annual Mid-America Bonsai Exhibition, I was admiring this Juniper which won second place in the show.
Co-incidentally, a picture of the tree from the Sept. 2016 5th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition was also present in the

issue of the BCI Magazine that was available free at the show. Upon further research I found that this tree won
2nd place in the Artisan's Cup held in Sept. 2015.
I found it interesting to note some subtle differences in its development and why the artist made the changes

.View attachment 206891View attachment 206892View attachment 206893
.................. 2015....................................2016...................................2018...................

I was curious to hear other opinions about the changes.
I find it difficult to judge given the different levels of photography! The 2018 image is at a huge disadvantage in how it was photographed. Even with that disadvantage I prefer the new image, particularily the more open feel and balance. In the previous two stylings i find the right branch too obvious and the foliage to congested. I suspect if the new style had a proper background and better lighting the effect would be amazing.
The recall seeing this at the Artisans cup and it was very well done, the photography and presentation was second to none at that show.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Personally I would like to see the tree styled so as to exhibit more of the trunk and branch structure, that's just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me; just my preference. I think too often we style a Juniper to look more like a bush than a tree.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is overgrown in my opinion, it looked much better in 2015 when you could appreciate the trunkline more. Now it’s buried under foliage.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I did see this tree in person in 2018, and like I said, the way it was displayed really hurt the image. It needed a backdrop, or to be in an alcove. It is an large impressive piece. Comparing the 2018 image to the 2015 image is not valid due to poor image quality, you can't see the tree in the second image.

Top Bottom