Juniper Rigida

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it! From the photo, I wonder if you’ll end up removing that lowest left pad at some point.

I wonder how that lowest branch of foliage trained around to show on the viewers right might look "better" trained more to the back and made into a "dropbranch" dead wood. And positioned somewhat to flow back towards the trunk? Just wondering if that would be something you could see.

Happy belated birthday @Chopsie couple weeks late!!!!

Interesting tree!!

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi all

today I started with the deadwood

C6BCE54D-9F8F-40CA-AF60-AC7D966EDFED.jpeg
I like it! From the photo, I wonder if you’ll end up removing that lowest left pad at some point.
I want to keep it, I think once the pads have developed and I can start on secondary pads it will work well.
I wonder how that lowest branch of foliage trained around to show on the viewers right might look "better" trained more to the back and made into a "dropbranch" dead wood. And positioned somewhat to flow back towards the trunk? Just wondering if that would be something you could see.

Happy belated birthday @Chopsie couple weeks late!!!!

Interesting tree!!
I think as I said above the branch and pad will make more sense once the trees development has improved
I certainly don’t want to remove it
Thank you for the birthday wishes lol
Very nicely done. That's a special tree. You must be so proud.
I am very proud of the tree but like all my trees they are in development
I say all my trees lol I don’t have many
But what I do have I enjoy working on

Attachments

• B3A5CEC4-47C1-41AA-BF64-DE45FBC70240.jpeg
    B3A5CEC4-47C1-41AA-BF64-DE45FBC70240.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 6
  • 7CD6E804-04BC-4E60-B15C-AA38B2DA42CC.jpeg
    7CD6E804-04BC-4E60-B15C-AA38B2DA42CC.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 58324986-C91F-4CF5-9EEF-6FAD0EF502B4.jpeg
    58324986-C91F-4CF5-9EEF-6FAD0EF502B4.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 7

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you absolutely made the correct decision in removing the jin. It conflicted with your design and directionally pulled the eye off to the upper left. It is a personal pet peeve of mine: so many times I see people keeping deadwood because it is there, instead of because it works.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Great pot!
It’s a Peter Krebs , the current pot is a Bryan Albright and I think it’s a little big and doesn’t add much to the overall image.
The krebs is slightly shorter in length and narrower
Hopefully it will make a better image
I think you absolutely made the correct decision in removing the jin. It conflicted with your design and directionally pulled the eye off to the upper left. It is a personal pet peeve of mine: so many times I see people keeping deadwood because it is there, instead of because it works.

I left it a year contemplating what would be best, I considered steam bending it over but one thing I did know was that it couldn’t stay how it was.
Due to the Covid sh!tuation here in the U.K. I’ve not been able to get any tuition since 2019
I just thought I’d have a go myself as after all it’s my tree.
I have no regrets about removing the deadwood as imo it conflicted with the flow of the tree.
I’m now concentrating on developing the pads above the lowest left hand side.
Once these have reached the sizes I want I think it’s going to make a lot more sense .
I do need to start sorting out the apex too.
Here’s a side on view and I think it looks great side on too

DD347BE2-85F6-4146-96CD-01AEB0386E62.jpeg

mds_1978

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree!

If you don't mind me asking, who is your teacher? I am in the UK too and looking to do some lessons when the COVID situation improves.

And a more general question - how does one go about finding a teacher?

Last edited:

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice tree!

If you don't mind me asking, who is your teacher? I am in the UK too and looking to do some lessons when the COVID situation improves.

And a more general question - how does one go about finding a teacher?
Thank you
I have had tutoring from Lee V but nothing since Covid and lockdown
Hopefully next year

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love this tree, just saw this again from randomly threads.

wow.

outstanding

Top Bottom