juniper rust( apple-cedar, Hawthorn, quince, other rose family rust)

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi i know maybe someone has already post about this thread but i just want to ask the experts when it comes to juniper rust.... i have seen in the internet that they say when a juniper has this kind of fungal disease it is incurable? or is there a cure for this one? most expert say use of copper based fungicide and sulfur works but when it comes to the next season it comeback again.... i have seen a thread at the ibonsaiclub with regards to juniper communis where Pavel slovak talks about tips in collecting this species and Ian young shared in the thread his experience about juniper communis and his struggle with juniper rust in a particular juniper that he collected. people say that the fungus lies inside the tissue of the juniper and thats why it is so hard to eradicate. I am just wondering grafting a immune juniper cultivar to the infected one??? would this work?

Can anyone share his ideas or could share a light on this?

thank you

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 threads and no pics on either!

That's a first!

I currently have ERC and Hawthorne cuttings under a bin for humidity in a yard with Apple trees and Buckthorn.

You just can't go believing it!

Or it WILL!

Your Will....

Don't Believe!

Works on time too!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The only cure is physically cutting off the infected portion of plant tissue. The copper sprays are preventative but don't do anything for existing infection. I've started using systemic anti fungals on trees I own with known infections, but haven't been doing it long enough- like 5 years or longer- to say that it has a benefit.

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
@sorce yeah sorry my bad...
126788-6f47b1d7f10b5be7fb3c8978040011e5.jpg

126789-9b08a7ff71ea7e4c8383c99745043d28.jpg

this is what i mean...

@Dav4 Thank you for your inputs... yeah i think cutting the infected portion of the plant tissue is a good solution.... what if the infected tissue is the main livevein of the juniper( not to make things worse)? an expert say that 80 percent of the juniper(common juniper) in the wild have this and it is one of the reason this why it is so hard for it to collect because in the wild they can deal with this but if you collect them the stress of the collection processes would debilitate the plant that they will not be able to cope with the fungus... Grafting comes into my mind.... Here is Micheal Hagedorn article about an interesting grafting topic https://crataegus.com/2012/04/19/juniper-grafting-curious-results/.... granted it is a different topic we are talking to but im thing grafting to strengthen the juniper stock(having the disease) such that it can cope and maybe be immune to rust... Grafting by changing the foliage to an itogawa of a kishu variety and grafting stronger roots aswell???? it sound so ambitious but that idea keeps running in my mind

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.26.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.26.20 PM.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.26.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.26.26 PM.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 37

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If the live vein on the trunk has the fungus, there is no cure that I'm aware of. Cutting away the infected tissue will kill the live vein and any foliage that is sustained by it. I would personally avoid any tree that has such a severe infection. The trees I have that are infected only have lesions in the smaller branches, so pruning them away is a reasonable management option.

Top Bottom