Juniper Sabina new start

andro

Seed
Reaction score
Hey everyone, before going further I`am new to bonsai and I`am looking for some advices and of course constructive criticism. I bought this Sabina Juniper from a local shop (not bonsai related), the shape of tree was perfect for cascade so I decided to give it a try. For soil i used a mix of Akadama, pumice, perlite and bonsai soil ( organic potting compost ).
PS: This is just a training pot.
PS 2: My wiring is bad.

j1.jpeg

Attachments

• j2.jpeg
    j2.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 7
  • j 3.jpeg
    j 3.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is it outside? Looks fine otherwise. Will take time to develop

andro

Seed
Reaction score
Is it outside? Looks fine otherwise. Will take time to develop
Here where i live outside temperature during night is around 42°F and with winter getting close temp will get lower. At what temperature is good to take tree inside?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How low? Junipers love full sun and can handle below freezing temps. Someone else can jump in but they're supposed to be hardy to US zone 4. Add a zone for being in a pot and that's still -10 F

andro

Seed
Reaction score
Probably around - 5°F. Keeping it in direct sun all day long.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Keep it outside all the time. Do not water it is the soil is frozen. It should be fine. Also, let it rest now for at least a year.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No problem for this juniper to live outside all winter. My winter temps are similar to your -5C and my junipers never come indoors.

PS 2: My wiring is bad.
You are correct but provided it does the job and you are not showing the tree I don't really care how it looks. Practice will help and your wiring should improve over time.

shape of tree was perfect for cascade so I decided to give it a try.
Cascade is actually a hard style to get really good.
When I think of cascade trees I think of mountains and cliff faces where the trees grow out to the light or are forced down with constant wind, snow, etc. Under those conditions it would not be normal for branches to grow in the opposite direction. It is normal for beginners to want 'balance' with branches going in opposite direction but with some styles balance is achieved by making everything move in one direction.
Design of your tree is entirely up to you but if I was doing this tree I would remove the 2 lower left side branches then bend the next 2 top branches to the right to compliment the main cascade trunk. In bonsai less is often better than more.
Consider those factors and see if you agree.

Top Bottom