Juniper scale

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a few shimpaku with juniper scale. Safer's soap doesn't seem to help. Should I try an oil this time of the year and if so which one should I get?

Thanks in advance!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Probably it's best to just remove them manually.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You can try all sorts of things but I can tell you from experience you would do best to talk to someone who has had the similar problem and has solved it. Shimpakus are peculiar in their responses. They pretty much recoil from almost any thing you put on them. I have had this problem; I solved it but the cure seemed almost worse than the problem, and I would not recomend my solution to you unless it seems to be the only way.

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago on another thread and was unable to get a decent response. Let's see where this one goes and maybe we can both learn something. It seems that this has only become an issue in the last couple of years, I never had this problem till about four years ago.

In short; advice from experienced people is fine but in this case the experience must be specific and not general. I don't mean to hammer previous advise, just to clarify it.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've used both neem and volk oil on shimpaku with no problems. It was for spider mites though not scale. You could try on one and see what happens. The safest thing may be to try blasting them off with a strong spray of water.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've used both neem and volk oil on shimpaku with no problems. It was for spider mites though not scale. You could try on one and see what happens. The safest thing may be to try blasting them off with a strong spray of water.

As long as you have used Volk on them with no problem I would suggest that as well. The problem with scale is that there are few insecticides that will kill them once they have scaled up. If you can catch them early before they build their scale any number of insecticides will do the job. Once you see white you're in trouble. Volk should work because the oil suffocates them not poisons them. Suffocation is the only recourse that is effective.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used all seasons oil on Shimpaku - it is lighter than neem oil or dormant oil. I spray now and in the spring. For a large amount of scale I have used a systemic insecticide.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
The amount of white spots is limited to a few branches only. I could try a few more applications of soap but i read that oils are better in the dormant season. I did blast one of the shimp which had live bugs in the trunk. It is now live bug free and only has white spots left. My goal is to prevent this eggs from hatching if possible.

Thanks for the input.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is why you can use all season oil. It can be used during the growing season. If the scale is limited get the tweezers out and start crushing them.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have been dealing with scale on junipers for almost 10 years. I will offer this. The home made solution works very well. You will have to spray a couple of times probably every season, but it is worth it. Especially at the very end of winter.

These are the general ratios. You can use a little more oil and you can use as much as 2 tablespoons of soap for bad infestations.

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablesspoons of dishwashing liquid. You can use palmolive or ivory. I have used both.

Mix this in a gallon of water. Then pour this solution in a spray bottle. Now add 1 capful (from the alcohol bottle) of alcohol. Shake well. Spay all surfaces, under and over branches, interiors, trunk etc..I usually leave it on for about 24 hours then shower the tree off very well. In a few weeks, I'll sometimes repeat it again. I would not spray in temps that are below freezing or above 90. However, you can offer some protection for the trees anyway. After spraying, I usually keep the tree out of direct sun for a few days and after the tree is thoroughly hosed off.

If possible, this works even better if you manually remove all the scale you see before you spray. However, sometimes there are so many, I just for go that step because it would be impossible.

I also had success with Bonide all seasons horticultural oil years ago. However, I switched to this because it is not toxic at all. It can be sprayed inside, outside and no PPE in necessary.

Rob

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I have been dealing with scale on junipers for almost 10 years. I will offer this. The home made solution works very well. You will have to spray a couple of times probably every season, but it is worth it. Especially at the very end of winter.

These are the general ratios. You can use a little more oil and you can use as much as 2 tablespoons of soap for bad infestations.

1 1/2 tablesspoons of dishwashing liquid. You can use palmolive or ivory. I have used both.

Mix this in a gallon of water. Then pour this solution in a spray bottle. Now add 1 capful (from the alcohol bottle) of alcohol. Shake well. Spay all surfaces, under and over branches, interiors, trunk etc..I usually leave it on for about 24 hours then shower the tree off very well. In a few weeks, I'll sometimes repeat it again. I would not spray in temps that are below freezing or above 90. However, you can offer some protection for the trees anyway. After spraying, I usually keep the tree out of direct sun for a few days and after the tree is thoroughly hosed off.

If possible, this works even better if yo umanually remove al lthe scale you see before yo uspray. However, sometiems there are so many, I just forgo that step becasue it would be impossible.

I also had success with Bonide all seasons horticultural oil years ago. However, I switched to this because it is not toxic at all. It can be sprayed inside, outside and no PPE in necessary.

Rob

Interesting. You would think mixing an oil with a soap wouldn't work because that's just how soaps work. Soap molecules arrange themselves around oil molecules and create micelles. Once mixed with water, the oil is completely surround with soap and no longer effective. I think I'll try an all season oil and see if I can eradicate this problem. the live bugs I usually get rid using a compressed air canister which works pretty well. I just want to eradicate everything completely by preventing egg from hatching next spring.

Manny

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Scale tends to regenerate almost every time. You have to watch for it every season regardless what you use. The soap solution has worked for me for the past 7 years or so. Before that, I used the horticultural oil.

if you pick of all you see with a tooth pick and then spray, it is even more effective.

I have heard some use a q tip dipped in alcohol.

Also, you cannot remove scale with an air canister. If you can it is either not scale or they are dead. Dead scale flake off, live scale will not leave the branch unless picked off. If fact, they grab on son well, they can leave a mark on the wood in the spot that they are. Also, depending on the variety, they attach so strongly that when yo udo try to remove them, they ripoff in pieces.

Rob

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Isn't the male scale an actual bug that walks around the tree as opposed to attached under a hard shell?

see the pic

junscal3.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
There are different kinds of scale, white juniper and oyster shell scale to name a couple. Oyster shell is probably the worst. They are immune to almost everything. It takes a lot ot get through the shell, which is where they lay their eggs. Basically when the new scale hatches, the babies walk around and pick a place to settle down. When they do, they lose their legs and thats where they stay. In time, they lay their eggs underneath the shell. They anchor themselves to the tree using their pincer like protrutions. These dig into the tree almost like fangs. They suck the juice out of that section until the area dies.

I know that sometimes people use more toxic pesticides. However, I prefer to smoother them as opposed to killing them with toxicity. I really don't want to be limited when and where I can spray. Also, don't want to have to wear gloves or breathing protectors.

Rob

fore

Omono
Reaction score

If possible, this works even better if yo umanually remove al lthe scale you see before yo uspray. However, sometiems there are so many, I just forgo that step becasue it would be impossible.

Rob

Good to know just in case Rob, Thanks for sharing!

Btw, do you use this as a preventative spray at the end of winter or just for the treatment of scale?

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Chris... Nope, I only spray when the tree has the pests. The main time is at the end of winter when the trees are coming out of winter storage.

However, I believe that last year, I may, for the first time, sprayed them before they went into winter storage. However, I don't think it made any difference.

Rob

Top Bottom