Juniper scopulorum - need some advice

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a juniper scopulorum, and I want to emulate the tree in the first picture. In the second pic you can see the juniper. And in the third pic you can see the branch I’ve wired to become the new trunk. My plan is to turn the original trunk into a jin, trying to emulate breakage from the usual suspects like a windstorm or lightning. So I would appreciate any thoughts on my idea in general, as well as the specifics about jinning the trunk. I was assuming it would be bad to do it in one go. And I’m not in a rush as I will be letting it grow a bit first.

Attachments

• 6E177200-2D05-46FD-84EB-CEACFBBE388D.jpeg
    6E177200-2D05-46FD-84EB-CEACFBBE388D.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 33EB2B96-F0F4-4558-92D9-9AD7A3A4746A.jpeg
    33EB2B96-F0F4-4558-92D9-9AD7A3A4746A.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 102
  • D6BCDB63-69D3-4FC7-857C-02E11D2A826B.jpeg
    D6BCDB63-69D3-4FC7-857C-02E11D2A826B.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 100

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You've been growing bonsai for how long? You can do what you have suggested but even in the best environments and conditions the success rate is going to be low. You may accomplish the trunk replacement but developing the new trunk into a believable bonsai is doubtful in less than ten years.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I‘ve only just recently got into this hobby. Hence, my ignorance about what is possible, and what is realistic. Also, I think I gave the impression of intending to do more than what I have in mind. I just want the branch I’ve wired to eventually, one day, give one the impression that it is growing straight up as the new trunk. I’m not hoping to mimic the way the actual tree curved to continue the new trunk along the old trunk line. I understand it won’t be a quick process. So, is my simpler vision still likely to be unattainable?

And thank you for responding. I’m trying to be a sponge, and takIng it all in. But at times it feels like I’m drinking from a fire hose. 😊

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai is a journey, where the destination is, can change as time passes, you learn more, and your tastes change. I think you have a good basic plan. Look at more trees, search BNut site for "candelabra style", it is a natural style often seen in North American forests, but is not part of the "traditional Japanese and Chinese canon". For material as young and untrained as you have 10 years is not a bad estimate of the time it will take, however, you will enjoy looking at it on your bench much sooner than 10 years as you will be able to see where it is heading. There are better trees you can use as your "model", search for photos of older and ancient trees of western USA. But what you proposed is very do-able in the time line Vance outlined.

Basically, you have a good start. And welcome to a life long hobby.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know scopulorum come in various cultivars.
I'm not a big fan of the skyrocket type; it produces juvenile foliage very easily and has a genetic thing for growing upright, always.
I find it slow too, compared to other junipers. I have just one that it slower.

If this is a cultivar like the skyrocket or that other columnar one, there might be an extra challenge to it.
I gave up on mine because my 5 year plan seems to take 20 and I estimate it's not working even after 20.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys. I’ve seen some photos of trees that have the candelabra look. I think I first got the idea from watching one of Nigel Saunders videos. But I will keep looking for more pictures.

And while I had become aware that the Scorpulorum is slow growing, I didn’t realize it could be that slow. 😊 So far, I’ve just been buying nursery stock to learn on inexpensive material. Having the patience to select good material may be one of the challenges I face. I recently grabbed a juniper to do an initial cleanup on and look at it to determine what course I might want to take with it. As I gave It a good looking over I started muttering to myself, “Why the hell did I pick this one?”

So much to learn. It’s going to be fun.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't just look for photos, take a walk in your local woods. Even your local parks, will likely have several different styles of trees to see, including candelabra.

The Thuja below, the candelabra is low to the ground. In your area, you should see a fairly similar but high up in the tree formation.
Thuja - Lelanau Peninsula SP2 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Thuja - Lelanau Peninsula SP (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find now that I’m always looking around at trees wherever I am. It’s becoming a habit. But seeing more is always good. I know a couple of spots nearby that I should wander through to see some more up close.

This picture was taken in Scotland I believe, but I don’t know the type of tree.

Attachments

• 120926DE-A167-48D4-9D65-F09A3F5F1D3A.jpeg
    120926DE-A167-48D4-9D65-F09A3F5F1D3A.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 43

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Leo in N E Illinois I was wondering about shortening the trunk. I’m under the impression that it is currently an acceptable time to style junipers, including some pruning. Would now be an appropriate time to shorten the trunk? And should I be sticking with the guideline about not removing more than 20% of the foliage? So take about 20% off the trunk and see how it recovers? I’m operating under the assumption it wouldn’t be good to shorten it all the way in one go.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To each their own. Tree you wish to emulate is pine with different growth habit. Please to search this forum and see pictures of ancient natural junipers for better inspiration;).

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Something like this? 😉

Attachments

• C911D5E3-4214-4713-90F5-E858BE53BEC4.png
    C911D5E3-4214-4713-90F5-E858BE53BEC4.png
    415.8 KB · Views: 37

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois I was wondering about shortening the trunk. I’m under the impression that it is currently an acceptable time to style junipers, including some pruning. Would now be an appropriate time to shorten the trunk? And should I be sticking with the guideline about not removing more than 20% of the foliage? So take about 20% off the trunk and see how it recovers? I’m operating under the assumption it wouldn’t be good to shorten it all the way in one go.

Sure, your zone 8 winters are relatively mild. You can give it a go. I would not remove the trunk, I would strip the bark to kill the trunk and create a deadwood feature. Usually for a juniper this will look more natural. You can always cut it off later if you don't like it. Also, leave the jin ridiculously long, at least until you have settled on your style. You can always shorten the deadwood feature, it is difficult to add back deadwood if you cut it too short.

Here we are due for a hard freeze at anytime now. So my schedule of work is different.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Drewski Rocky Mountain Juniper is not a “slow growing” Juniper - not by my metric anyway. I think the long time frame has more to do with the particular tree you have there, rather than the species.

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are definitely some amazing trees! Bookmarked the blog as well. 👍

Top Bottom