Juniper shaping ideas?

AlterEgoX

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've got this juniper that I plan to grow larger this coming spring and would love some ideas for shaping. It seems pretty set up as a windswept, but I would like more movement in there somehow. My SO suggested a cascade, but I don't really want to go that direction. Maybe something will jump out at me as it develops, but any input for how to give this little guy some movement or add some interesting shape would be appreciated ☺️. (I plan to wire during this winter)

Attachments

• IMG_6170.JPG
    IMG_6170.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6169.JPG
    IMG_6169.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 19

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hace you tried just wiring it and see what happens? I think that's the best design choice for any juniper.

AlterEgoX

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You mean to just "improvise" the wiring? I have not tried that! This winter will be my first time wiring, so maybe I'll give it a go and see where it takes me 😁

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You mean to just "improvise" the wiring? I have not tried that! This winter will be my first time wiring, so maybe I'll give it a go and see where it takes me 😁
There is little improv! You start at the bottom, work your way methodically to the top. Then pick a lower branch, and wire all branches. Snip off the ones that don't work.
Boom.
You now have a design.
Trust the protocol.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This tree is so thin and flexible that any shape is still possible.
I expect the reason for so little inspiration is that there is so little to work with yet.

For a first timer it is hard to visualize that much of what you see will not be part of the final design. Many bonsai are developed from just the lowest branch or from shoots that don't even exist there yet.

By all means start off with a plan and try to work towards that but an alternative is to just let the tree grow and thicken until something does suggest itself.
I am all for putting some early bends in the trunks of junipers (and many other species) because it is harder to do that with a thicker trunk.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last season I was in your shoes.
I made a first styling:

IMG_20210405_195209.jpg
Not satisfied, 2 months later I restyled:

DSC_8217 (2).jpg

And another 2 months later, made a third:

IMG_20211109_112407 (2).jpg

So, sometimes, you have to begin and somehow things get in their place.....

Top Bottom