Juniper shimpaku brown areas, should I worry?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have this shimpaku.
It was wired a few months ago and a couple of weeks ago it started experiencing two brown branches but has light green growing tips all over.

Is this something I should worry about? It has happened only in two branches that have not been wired.

20151107_152816.jpg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe the change in shade / sun it recieve(d/s) because the braches changed?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any chance you cut the roots a bit to aggressive?

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had this happen because I was a bit too aggressive bending the branches (read: I bent them this way, then that way, then sharply another way).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like physical damage. Check for breaks.
Any chance an animal could have reached it to "mark" it?
Mites?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I might have bent it... Dont remember.
No mites or bugs visible... And I basically slip potted into larger pond basket.

Probably damage... But some tips of the branch are light green are growing, that's what made me doubt.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I might have bent it... Dont remember.
No mites or bugs visible... And I basically slip potted into larger pond basket.

Probably damage... But some tips of the branch are light green are growing, that's what made me doubt.
Well, get in there and figure it out. Take a couple close-ups and post them so newbies can see what causes this look!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That branch was not wired.

Did you shade it with wired branches?

Or anchor to that crotch to tight?

Sorce

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have a diagnosis, but I would go ahead and carefully cut all the orange dead stuff out that way if more occurs you can more easily tell.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Its definitely growing, it has runners but these are slow to grow!!

Kept on twisting the leader runner. Broke some branches to give it some character.

IMG_20170510_085821.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was probably just physical damage

In early Spring thin that poor plant out a bit :eek: It needs full sun, water but never dry. But it is also very important to let light into inner areas. I just gave two that I did that with, nursery stock for two years that are ROBUST to a member here last week. The purpose was for him to let him compare his much larger plants to after we trimmed one of his up proper. That was last weekend and the one I worked on with him is already perking up and showing far better color - why? Because the interior is finally getting that sun!

Grimmy

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If the browning is systemic I would worry. As others have mentioned, an aggressive bend might have been causal. I've seen this before and after watching it happen I can tell it's damage by the pattern. Usually all dying occurs on the same branch that was damaged (not other unrelated branching).

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If the browning is systemic I would worry. As others have mentioned, an aggressive bend might have been causal. I've seen this before and after watching it happen I can tell it's damage by the pattern. Usually all dying occurs on the same branch that was damaged (not other unrelated branching).
It never happened again. I think I am alright.
I have heard a couple of times that I should thin it out a bit... so that's on my to do list

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How would one distinguish this from, say, phomopsis or kabatina blight?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its definitely growing, it has runners but these are slow to grow!!

Kept on twisting the leader runner. Broke some branches to give it some character.

View attachment 147230
You do need to thin out the old, weak foliage. I've circled what I'm talking about:

IMG_0506.JPG

See how that foliage is a dull green compared to the bright green foliage above it? It's already pretty much dead already. See how the tips are little white dots? Weak.

There's more weak, dying foliage on there than just what I circled. Remove any foliage that looks like the stuff I circled.

Daluke

Mame
Reaction score

So is your theory that bug/pest cause random damage reflected in varying colour change / level of needle damage/deterioration?

I've had similar damage "appear" suddenly a few weeks after heavy bending and twisting.

Top Bottom