Juniper Spartan for Bonsai??

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Guys

Anyone using a Juniper Spartan for bonsai ? I have tried searching on google and on the forum but theres very little coverage on these plants.

Dane

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Try 300 of em!

Sorce

This is starting to feel like a rule, "After 300 plants you will become a bonsai master padawan". :p
Sorry for all the daft questions there are just so many options I'm losing my mind.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm only kidding with you....

Sparta.....300......The Immortals!

Seriously....I looked it up.....seems decent.

Really....the first thing to consider is the foilage.....Some like it tight...I don't care.

Second will be the growth habit....
As that determines somewhat the kind of work you have to put it....
More so if it is already grown into it....
Like these...dead straight....better For an upright tree...

Any Juniper can work IMO....
If you use em what they're good for.

Sorce

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm only kidding with you....

Sparta.....300......The Immortals!

Seriously....I looked it up.....seems decent.

Really....the first thing to consider is the foilage.....Some like it tight...I don't care.

Second will be the growth habit....
As that determines somewhat the kind of work you have to put it....
More so if it is already grown into it....
Like these...dead straight....better For an upright tree...

Any Juniper can work IMO....
If you use em what they're good for.

Sorce

Don't worry Sorce, if you were a woman I would marry you for your humor. Having a rough day at work and I can't put two and two together today.

I rekon I should Stop being so indecisive and take the plunge. But being new to this stuff I have noticed many trends in the forum so want sure if there are any trees that are useless to bonsai. I suppose as you said it's about skill and amount of effort put in or required.

Thanks as always! You are my best sorce :3 - ill go sit in a corner for that one now ....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@sorce - shot I saw your post earlier thus the trends part. Everyone seems to agree that shimpaku are the best. But I see you were soldiering on with the nana. I drove all over last weekend to find something anything untrained or restrained stock but I'm struggling. I can get trees but they are waaaaaay too expensive. The bonsai nurseries only sell pre made bonsai at a hefty price. However I will endeavour to find a decent supplier. Who can supply what my limited knowledge is familiar with.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have no idea what is in your nurseries, but you can always try to search for "Hollywood juniper" which is very closely related to the shimpaku, but is much more commonly found in nurseries and in larger sizes.

One is Juniperus chinensis 'shimpaku', the other is Juniperus chinensis 'torulosa'

Some Hollywood junipers can look so similar to shimaku that I have a hard time telling them apart. These are both Hollywood junipers:

1153.jpg

20140612-162155-58915524.jpg

Last edited:

Scaryface

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're not going to find shimpaku unless its in a dedicated bonsai nursery. It's extremely rare outside of its niche unless you're in Japan (maybe). Anything labeled juniperus chinensis will work. I wouldn't worry very much about the cultivar.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I found this place and it seems they have a nice selection.
http://www.windywillows.co.za/west-rand-johannesburg-roodepoort-honeydew-wholesale-nursery/trees/
Mostly big trees but they have a few saplings. Gonna have a look this weekend. Hope they have old/ugly or something.
@Bonsai Nut - looking for the shimpaku but I can't find anywhere. That or I am blind as a bat.

Dayham, That was quit a ride.
Completely unfamiliar with most of those genera present on this nursery's site.
Being the curious ol" ass I "right click>Google" Just spent like two hours and
--at the risk of sounding dramatic--CryMeAF'gRiver. Dude there are tons of
available species quite suitable for bonsai available to you. Some suitable enough
that I can only say Jealous. Visit and get to search about. There were actually
some of your indigenous species that made me need a bib. Beat the brush . . .
Literally.

PS: Got one in the ground myself;
too early to report.

Top Bottom