Juniper species identification

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi all,

I have gotten into bonsai within the last year. I have collected a few trees and bought some seedlings as well. A couple weeks ago, I remembered a juniper that I planted about 10 years ago in the corner of the yard. I dug it up and placed it in a pot. I believe it has potential to look great. However, I can't remember the species of juniper that it is. Here are a few pictures; I was hoping someone could identify it for me. Picture 1 is what I think the front will be. You can see the exposed root and the hollow in the tree. Picture 2 is the back of the tree. Picture 3 is a shot of the foliage compared to a small piece of procumbens nana foliage.

Since I took these photos, I adjusted the angle the tree was planted at to make it a bit more upright.

As it sits now, the tree has a 1 3/4" trunk and is about 10" tall. There is a lot of deadwood that I left on because I'm not sure how I want to deal with that right now. I estimate the age at around 20 years.

Comments on what route I should take with this tree once it is established are welcome. I am in zone 8B. Thanks!

P.S. I'm going to collect some Bald Cypress sometime soon and I'm excited about that.

2012-09-14_18-20-09_572_zpsd7ad96ad.jpg

2012-09-14_18-20-33_225_zps0bd6764e.jpg

2012-09-14_18-21-47_38_zps1c62e0a8.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very hard to tell. Your tree has juvenile foliage. Before it was cut back did all the foliage look like that?

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Very hard to tell. Your tree has juvenile foliage. Before it was cut back did all the foliage look like that?
Yes. It seems to have been some sort of 'creeping' juniper because it had spread all over everywhere in the area that it was planted.
Try Juniperus squamata.
That's possible. Even if I am unable to identify it, juniper care is pretty much the same throughout species, isn't it?

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would wait until early next year to do collecting- bald cypress or junipers. It's still hot down here.

Kirk

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Shore juniper looks just like it. It may be a little unconventional for bonsai but I'm gonna give it a shot.

As far as the collecting goes, it went from the back of the yard to the front of my yard and will be kept in the shade until wintertime. I am planning to go bald cypress collecting sometime around thanksgiving or a little later. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then, but I wouldn't count on it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am planning to go bald cypress collecting sometime around thanksgiving or a little later. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bald cypress actually collect pretty well in the heat, down in Louisiana, they only collect during the mid summer. I collected mine in the spring. I think it's all about getting it established before the cold weather hits (if you get any where you are...)

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Bald cypress actually collect pretty well in the heat, down in Louisiana, they only collect during the mid summer. I collected mine in the spring. I think it's all about getting it established before the cold weather hits (if you get any where you are...)

So are you saying I should actually aim to collect before it gets 'cold'? Our winters are pretty mild. It may get below freezing 4 or 5 nights during the whole winter.

Top Bottom