Juniper strickta(?) design suggestion

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I bought this bonsai baby at the end of last year and I have had several questions about its design. And I am an amateur observer of aspiring beginner bonsai and I wanted your suggestion.

It is almost certain that branch 1 will be removed. Now branch 2 I had thought to keep trying to make the sokkan / two trunks style but I don't know if it will look nice in the end and I have zero experience.

The biggest question is whether I make any of the 3 or 4 cuts or even hope to bend the trunk further in the future.

I accept all kinds of suggestions.And I also accept tips from this kind of juniper20210223_195957.jpg20210224_090330.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wrap the trunk with raffia, then heavy 5mm aluminum wire, and twist that puppy into a pretzel.

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't remove branch 1 unless it was at the same height as the first branch on the opposite side of the trunk, in the second picture it doesn't seem like it is.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stricta junipers are definitely a challenge. Their needles tend to grow up, which makes it difficult to style them. Backbudding is unreliable, but still as good as regular chinensis.. IF you treat them right.
But they can take heavy bends really well. I own three of them, two are now a pretzel in the making, the other is a twin trunk informal upright.

I would not make any cuts, just bend the crap out of it and let it gain more strength. I've redesigned mine multiple times and it's still not really working. Take your time! It'll get there, eventually. Or you'll get frustrated with it like I do. Especially plucking the old needles is a serious hassle.

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wouldn't remove branch 1 unless it was at the same height as the first branch on the opposite side of the trunk, in the second picture it doesn't seem like it is.
I'll look right afterwards but I think that in the photo it doesn't really seem to be parallel in the photo.

Thanks for help!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything has potential, just have to be careful it's not to waste your time.

The close buds on the low stuff looks promising for the future!

Sorce

Top Bottom