Juniper style direction - Help a N?b Out!

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a Blue Point Juniper that I want to do something with but I don't know what.
I found this tree at a box store clearance for $3 in October and I thinned it out some and let it go through winter. Spring is here and I wanted to get it in a training pot and get a plan for design. Any help for a noob would be great.

20180331_103047.jpg20180331_103047.jpg
20180331_103244.jpg20180331_103244.jpg

Booty shot:
20180331_103345.jpg

Crotch shot:
20180331_103413.jpg

From below:
20180331_103124.jpg

From above:
20180331_103326.jpg

Attachments

• 20180331_103434_014.jpg
    20180331_103434_014.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome roots, almost the 1st thing I look at when I see a tree

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maybe take that far left branch that is arching up and then down and have it continue into a cascade as you slowly remove many of the upright branches. Make it like it is diving over a ledge.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coolest thing about this tree is the Rockstar Hotrod workstool its sitting on! Nice!

I'd be on grow out mission with an eye on keeping only that First branch.

I have been collecting Blue Rugs about the same for about the same future.

Mine have these roots too...movey, holdy, separate but flaring wide....
Something bout rock plantings utilizing them to their most pleasing aesthetic story telling ability....

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think starting out, the biggest challenge you will have is the conflict between the informal, twisting roots, and the beanpole straight trunk.

I'm with @M. Frary that your tree needs aggressive wiring to get some movement into the trunk before it gets too thick to change.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgive Me...

But every Part of

FASTER...FURTHER...FUTURE....vision should be taken into account.

Faster....
Untouched growth except for the first branch which can be set to a "proper start".

Further....
If you wire movement into that trunk it will still lack taper. Or you can grow taper. But we cut back to small, why not grow movement, and taper, and do what we do?

Future....
With every bit of the top to power you into a small pot....you can have this tree potted and the bones set to a "proper start" this summer ...
Then your future is merely a balance of reducing the sacrifice, and building your tiny tree.

Vision...2018-04-01-09-14-31.jpg

In x years all that will remain is the trunk, the first branch, and it's first branch.
Many things will have changed...

But you are in Complete control of everything that happens after this point and you only need rely on simple Observation to build a right proper tree...

Exit time....

Enter light....

A "Proper Start" is addressing all potential problems and putting you into a position where health is of no concern and observation without worry can safely build a wicked dope tree.

It makes for a lot less thought and allows a Newb to simply water before returning with pictures and questions on where to cut.

No I am not a Juniper or a bonsai expert, I wholly rely on qualified individuals for that...

But I am Qualified to Prescribe your Future Vision Lenses....

Which is really just a mindset that understands every tree has a readable past, which can be utilized to clearly see into the future.

I imagine the tiny final tree as an empty cup.
And the sacrifice as a full cup.

As long as the amount of liquid remains the same, your tree will not die.

The objective is to slowly fill the empty cup and empty the full cup.

From Cup to Cup there is a filter that makes Ugly Beautiful.

Resorce.

Sorce

JimmyBeefshank

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Forgive Me...

But every Part of

FASTER...FURTHER...FUTURE....vision should be taken into account.

Faster....
Untouched growth except for the first branch which can be set to a "proper start".

Further....
If you wire movement into that trunk it will still lack taper. Or you can grow taper. But we cut back to small, why not grow movement, and taper, and do what we do?

Future....
With every bit of the top to power you into a small pot....you can have this tree potted and the bones set to a "proper start" this summer ...
Then your future is merely a balance of reducing the sacrifice, and building your tiny tree.

Vision...View attachment 184486

In x years all that will remain is the trunk, the first branch, and it's first branch.
Many things will have changed...

But you are in Complete control of everything that happens after this point and you only need rely on simple Observation to build a right proper tree...

Exit time....

Enter light....

A "Proper Start" is addressing all potential problems and putting you into a position where health is of no concern and observation without worry can safely build a wicked dope tree.

It makes for a lot less thought and allows a Newb to simply water before returning with pictures and questions on where to cut.

No I am not a Juniper or a bonsai expert, I wholly rely on qualified individuals for that...

But I am Qualified to Prescribe your Future Vision Lenses....

Which is really just a mindset that understands every tree has a readable past, which can be utilized to clearly see into the future.

I imagine the tiny final tree as an empty cup.
And the sacrifice as a full cup.

As long as the amount of liquid remains the same, your tree will not die.

The objective is to slowly fill the empty cup and empty the full cup.

From Cup to Cup there is a filter that makes Ugly Beautiful.

Resorce.

Sorce

I am Jimmy's blown mind.
It was kinda cramped in there anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom