Juniper suggestions?

Reaction score
I found a (good) subject for a cascade, its low growing with short stubbly branches (they're VERY short-'bout 5/6 cm from the trunk to the outside surface of the foliage) and crown,but most importantly a sideways branch about 50/55cm long with 'bout six branch possibilities in alternating order(Should it be extremely dense?).
They also have another which looks like "Juniperus sabina 'Tamariscifolia' ", will it be better regarding species?

But either way, these are my concerns: Will I will be working forever on this without results,will it 'back bud' with hard pruning,will I be able to develop the other branches to a obvious branch structure? Because I read somewhere that the borderline between a juniper looking like a shrub in a pot and a good bonsai lies in well defined branch structure

Thanx.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe
it's possible
could go either way
maybe
six of one half dozen of the other.

Where are you, put that in your stats, it helps to get good answers, also you have basically asked a bunch of classes worth of questions for a couple of junipers you don't show. I am assuming little experiance in bonsai, and suggest finding a club nearby to bring your exuberance into.

Not a snotty response, just saying you ask for very much to be answed in a thread, and I don't want to push you away from our hobby either. If nothing else you are starting with a good beginners plant(junipers). Check out our juniper section, and articles, theres tons of info on Juni's in the bonsai forums and blogs.

A large part of bonsai is finding a good trunkline in the material you are working on, if you see something that looks good, and fits what you want to see in the tree then go for it.

Junipers by the way, regardless of what anyone tells you are not inside plant material, if it has to be/ or you really want it to be an inside bonsai,DON'T, find something in a ficus.

Reaction score
I am not a beginner to bonsai as I have been working on bonsai for six years and I know that by Bonsai enthusiast standards that is very small period. I've spent these years using only trees native to SA.Thats why I ask questions only of trees that are not indigenous to South Africa as I have decided to explore connifers/junipers etc.

Looking forward to your advice

F.V.

Last edited:
Top Bottom