Juniper that survived the fungus

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is one of my junipers that was almost killed by the dreaded fungus that many of us are dealing with. It has been recovering for over 2 years and I believe is ready for some styling. The initial design was pretty much ruined. The fungus killed the bottom right half, almost the entire front middle section and small spots throughout the tree. However, these are not the only issues. With all the foliage and branch loss, the tree's flaws were completely obvious. These being the completely straight trunk section in the middle. Also, right after the straight part, there is an abrupt bend. Years ago, I thought about trying to do something with the bend. However, I believe it would have snapped. Instead, I spent the last 5 plus years growing foliage pads to hide the flaws. All wiped out by the fungus

This time around, I needed a better solution. First rotating the tree. This way the bend is going towards the back. As far as the straight section. Tilting the tree to the left about 45 degrees would make the trunk look like it was growing to the left. It would still be straight, but more subtle and natural. I also started a shari.

I have had this tree for about 8 or 9 years. I never gave up on this tree. In fact, for 2 years, all I could think and say was I will not let this tree die. There is no way this fungus is taking this tree. Here is the before and after.

Rob

Last edited:

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second that, looking very healthy now and seems to be back on track. I like the new potting angle, and feel in future perhaps the first 2 right branches could go leaving the first left branch to elongate into a dominant branch...might help give even more flow to the left.
Thanks for sharing

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Dario. It is in much better shape that it has been. I am keeping a close eye on this tree. I noticed that some of the new growth in the crevaces and emanating from the branches themselves is weak. Some is even dead. I will probably hit it with a fungicide soon.

Rob

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Dario. It is in much better shape that it has been. I am keeping a close eye on this tree. I noticed that some of the new growth in the crevaces and emanating from the branches themselves is weak. Some is even dead. I will probably hit it with a fungicide soon.

Rob

Glad to see you had the patience and put in the effort, very nice again! Are you using Copper Fungicide or?

Grimmy

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another nice tree Rob. Always good to see how patience and sticking with something pays off.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I second that, looking very healthy now and seems to be back on track. I like the new potting angle, and feel in future perhaps the first 2 right branches could go leaving the first left branch to elongate into a dominant branch...might help give even more flow to the left.
Thanks for sharing

Thank Jeremy. It is best to leave as much foliage and branches as possible on this tree just in case the fungus hits again.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad to see you had the patience and put in the effort, very nice again! Are you using Copper Fungicide or?

Grimmy

Thanks Grim. Yes, I will be using Bonide copper fungicide. I believe that one might be the main factor that saved this tree.

Rob

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks nice and healthy. Nice recovery job!

I do have a couple of questions. In the first photo (before), sections of the tree look yellow and even brown in places. Does that represent the early stages of the fungal attack? As opposed to normal shedding? And, regarding the fungicide - how often did you apply (roughly), and did you alternate at all with something like daconil (or maybe lime sulfur before winter storage as many do), or did you just got with the copper?

Thanks,

Chris

Edit to add - I know the issue of the fungal problem has been discussed before, but I can't remember - did you ever manage to get a positive ID on the type of fungus that was causing your problems? Perhaps from an agricultural lab?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tree looks nice and healthy. Nice recovery job!

I do have a couple of questions. In the first photo (before), sections of the tree look yellow and even brown in places. Does that represent the early stages of the fungal attack? As opposed to normal shedding? And, regarding the fungicide - how often did you apply (roughly), and did you alternate at all with something like daconil (or maybe lime sulfur before winter storage as many do), or did you just got with the copper?

Thanks,

Chris

Edit to add - I know the issue of the fungal problem has been discussed before, but I can't remember - did you ever manage to get a positive ID on the type of fungus that was causing your problems? Perhaps from an agricultural lab?

Hi Chris. Both pics are from yesterday. The before pic is from the tree after it somewhat recovered. That is after the 2 years of recovery. Yes, there is still brown and yellow. Even though the tree recovered, it has still not regained the health it had. Notice the big jin on the bottom right. The fungus killed that whole branch. It also started to kill the branch above it. It took most of the front of that branch and the entire back. Then it killed off the middle section of the tree and other small sections. The only part that sustained ok was the top 1/4, the apex.

The reason why pic 2 looks so different is partly becasue it was taken at night with a flash. The other reasons are that I removed all the dead and yellow growth. Then I wired the branches to fill in the spots. Also, fine wiring the foliage together into small pads to make it look fuller.

I never had the tested, but I think it was juniper blight. The owner of the nursery said it was a fungus, but did not specify. In the beginning, I was alternating the premade Daconil and Bonide copper fungicide. However, I did not like the residue with the Daconil so I switched to just using the Bonsai copper. In the beginning I alternated Daconil one month and the next Copper. Then just copper maybe once a month. It may seem like a lot. However, our growing season isn't very long. So you are looking at maybe a total of 3-4 sprayings per season. Also, there was a scale insect problem as well. I think I used the home made pesticide for that. However, I used the Bonsai All Season's oil now. Whether or not the home made pesticide had a hand in wiping out the fungus, I do not know. Personally, I think it was the Copper that wiped it out. If the proble arise again. I will just use the copper on a monthly basis.

Here are some pics. The first one is the tree in regular lighting. For now, I am satisfied with it. I had to work with what I had. I might change some things in the future. I would like to shorten the branches, but due to the growth and it being bare in spots, it is not really an option at this point.

The next pics are close up reference pics of the fungus. These are sections of the tree from around 2 years ago. It starts with the browning sections of the foliage. Before you know it, the stem is brown, sections die off very quickly and the branch is dead.

Rob

Fungus pics

IMG_38141024x768.jpg

IMG_38191024x768.jpg

IMG_38221024x768.jpg

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the clarification! The close-ups of the browned areas from 2 years ago are very helpful...my junipers don't look anything like that, only yellow. I guess that's a good thing!

Chris

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Grim. Yes, I will be using Bonide copper fungicide. I believe that one might be the main factor that saved this tree.

Rob

Glad you saved it Rob. Do you recommend treating junipers and pines prophylactically with copper fungicide? If so when and how often? There was a recent thread on prophylactic treatment but I didn't see anyone mention when to apply and how often. Thanks!

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Glad you saved it Rob. Do you recommend treating junipers and pines prophylactically with copper fungicide? If so when and how often? Thanks!

I do with all fruit trees and for the first time this year have needed to with Junipers, Cypress, and False Cypress. The way I "read it" once you need to you will have to continue to use it on a specimen and it holds true for certain on Fruiting so I will do others the same way and finish the season and start next season with a fresh bath... Not certain what Rob does.

Grimmy

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad you saved it Rob. Do you recommend treating junipers and pines prophylactically with copper fungicide? If so when and how often? There was a recent thread on prophylactic treatment but I didn't see anyone mention when to apply and how often. Thanks!

If you suspect a problem or have an on going problem, I would definitely spray as a preventative. Probably a couple weeks before the tree goes into winter storage and maybe a week or 2 after it comes out of winter storage. In the beginning, I was spraying the junipers about once a month for 3-4 months straight during the growing season. I used to alternate Daconil and copper. However, after a while, I switched to just using copper fungicide.

I rarely spray the pines. However, if the need arises. I will do 2-3 sprayings 1 month apart.

Always cover the soil when you spray, especially anything copper based. I use either aluminum foil or a plastic bag.

Rob

Last edited:

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, all my junipers got hit bad this year with this fungi, I did not lose any and most are on a road to a slow but steady recovery!!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, all my junipers got hit bad this year with this fungi, I did not lose any and most are on a road to a slow but steady recovery!!

Sorry to hear that. This whole area has the problem. You'll need to monitor closely, it might be gone, however, it might not. Since the trees are in weakened state, they may be putting on new growth. However, you will notice there will be some that will continue to die. The issue here is what we have to deal with during this time. The trees cannot be shown or worked on until they recover. If any design is even salvageable, you'll need to wait about 2 years to even do anything. So it basically comes down to having a tree that you cannot show or doing anything with for an undetermined amount of time. Honestly, I am getting a little tired of dealing with all these juniper problems and have started focusing attention to other trees.

Rob

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good to see this one recovered. The kishu shimpaku I posted about a few weeks ago bit the dust because of fungal infection. I sprayed it with fungicide after you guys told me that was the problem. Luckily it wasn't near my others, which I went ahead and sprayed. This fungus is quick and deadly. :mad:

Top Bottom