Juniper Varieties, species and styles

Reaction score
So what Juniper species grows the largest, and the fastest?

I have one which I purchased as a pre-Bonsai. It was called a procumbens. I am guessing this refers to the style, and not the species? Is anyone familiar to a style name where the tree sweeps upward instead of down? What would this be called?

So what is the largest, and/or the fastest growing, species of Juniper?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The largest in the US is a Mountain Juniper, nee Western Juniper called the Bennett Juniper.

Yours is likely a Juniperus procumbens which is the species and not a reference to its style. As for styles that sweep upward, informal upright, windswept, and slant come to mind. You'll have to be more specific to get a more specific answer. Pictures help.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Procumbens is part of the Latin name for that specific juniper. Don’t confuse the species with the style. Most species can be trained into any style you want. Some species comply with certain styling better, and some look better in specific styles than others.

For fast growing and upright junipers, look into Hollywood juniper, J. chinensis, ‘Torulosa’. Good foliage, fast and upright grower. It has good (and unexplored) potential as bonsai.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For fast growing and upright junipers, look into Hollywood juniper, J. chinensis, ‘Torulosa’. Good foliage, fast and upright grower. It has good (and unexplored) potential as bonsai.
Sometimes the cultivar can also be found as J. chinensis 'Kaizuka'. (Kaizuka is the city in Japan where it was originally sourced) This was the original cultivar name when it was imported into the US. Because many of these trees were planted in and around Hollywood, CA, it became known as the "Hollywood juniper" in the trade.

Big tree, grows fast, increases trunk caliper fast, even in an Anderson flat. It is certainly the fastest growing Chinese juniper cultivar. I have not experienced any other species of juniper that grows faster (though I have certainly not had experience with all of them). Grows in a naturally contorted form, as if blown by wind, even in non-windy areas. (Here is a photo of a landscape tree across the street from the Anaheim convention center (via Google street view). Note the twisted trunk.)

torulosa.jpg

Two Hollywood junipers flanking the entrance to the Post Office at Alameda Air Station (showing their windblown look).
torulosa-2.jpg

Last edited:

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As far as quick growing, San Jose juniper trunks are often grafted with better foliage types because of how quickly SJ grows.

Top Bottom