Juniper with a skirt?

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
i had a very weird dream recently about bonsai. Oh, I dream about bonsai a lot, but this one was just. Plain weird. One particular tree stuck with me and I was able to remember a lot about it when I woke up.

I would call it some kind of either tanuki or massively carved "shari". The basic idea is that there is a very tall, thin literati type juniper growing within a larger hollowed out trunk. In my dream the center juniper trunk was actually a single straight live vein which connected to the outer shell every once in a while by little strands of deadwood. Sort of like internal buttresses. The hollow trunk is tapered, and has a few open knotholes where you can see the living trunk inside. It has bark, but the inner vein is cleaned up so the cinnamon color really shows up, the top of the live tree is an elegant, sort of Goshin inspired craggy spire.

I tried to sketch my idea but not sure how effective it is. My thoughts are that if this were to be actually done, the inner tree would be its own free standing juniper placed inside the dead trunk, and this is where the tanuki would come into play (even though the living tree isn't actually growing "on" the dead trunk).

Anybody ever see anything like this before? image.jpg

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Or you could put a straight tree inside an empty cardboard roll of toilet paper... :) ;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Somehow Strawberry planter comes to mind...

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Jaberwky17

I fully appreciate the dream sharing.....

But I think the tree will outgrow its surroundings too fast.....

I think this dream was to show you something else.....

But what?

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i had a very weird dream recently about bonsai. Oh, I dream about bonsai a lot, but this one was just. Plain weird. One particular tree stuck with me and I was able to remember a lot about it when I woke up.

I would call it some kind of either tanuki or massively carved "shari". The basic idea is that there is a very tall, thin literati type juniper growing within a larger hollowed out trunk. In my dream the center juniper trunk was actually a single straight live vein which connected to the outer shell every once in a while by little strands of deadwood. Sort of like internal buttresses. The hollow trunk is tapered, and has a few open knotholes where you can see the living trunk inside. It has bark, but the inner vein is cleaned up so the cinnamon color really shows up, the top of the live tree is an elegant, sort of Goshin inspired craggy spire.

I tried to sketch my idea but not sure how effective it is. My thoughts are that if this were to be actually done, the inner tree would be its own free standing juniper placed inside the dead trunk, and this is where the tanuki would come into play (even though the living tree isn't actually growing "on" the dead trunk).

Anybody ever see anything like this before? View attachment 89358
Go for it!
I've had similar thoughts, root over/in decaying stump kind of thing.
This little spruce is just behind my house, good start, just need to hit it with a chainsaw and plunk it onto a pot.
No, kidding, I'm not doing that. image.jpg

Top Bottom