Juniper with spider mites

JBS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
My juniper had a bout with spyder mites. They seem to be taken care of now. Wondering if there is anything specific that could help it rebound, the tips are still yellow.3E318BE9-B7FE-441C-9437-A730E72FD933.jpeg4D8ED60E-5BA9-4C67-AFDA-082BA2F77C1B.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad your mite problem is over with. Did you actually see mites?
The pale color tips look very much like new growth to me.
Post where you are so people of a like climate can advise you.
It is really too early for spider mites in my area. They love hot and dry. Of course inside they can be a problem anytime, but hopefully your juniper is being kept outside.

JBS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I did the test on white paper and smudged them. I live in Kansas City, and yes I thought it was new growth as well, then they started to dry out. I noticed them coming off when I sprayed the plant with water trying to get rid of the mites. I’ve been checking every day and they seem to be gone.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They seem to be taken care of now.
How did you go about this?
That may help answer question about what to do now while waiting for recovery
whether it was infested or not.

An overall full shot (FS) of the juniper, and some history helps provide best feedback and helps.
Like how long you've had it, how long since it was potted or repotted and what media is it in?

Where do you live, like SW Arizona, Argentina, Germany...in what grow zone?
1652132301219.png
click on your screen name at the top R of the page ^^ and edit your details to include a general location and USDA zone.

JBS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I purchased it in San Diego 3-13-22, and drove it back to Kansas City, Arrived on the 3-17, I do not know the last time it was repotted. Or exactly what it is potted in. I will find out. I was advised by the previous owner F122C211-F686-4685-A960-A0882888BFE2.jpeg54833629-5322-4CE3-9D28-9D61F3050548.jpegto use Dawn anti-bacterial soap, 1 teaspoon to a quart of water, spray bottle. First I hosed off the tree. Sprayed and rinsed 30 minutes later. The first image is how it was looking in San Diego, the other here in KC

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I purchased it in San Diego 3-13-22, and drove it back to Kansas City, Arrived on the 3-17, I do not know the last time it was repotted. Or exactly what it is potted in. I will find out. I was advised by the previous owner View attachment 435107View attachment 435106to use Dawn anti-bacterial soap, 1 teaspoon to a quart of water, spray bottle. First I hosed off the tree. Sprayed and rinsed 30 minutes later. The first image is how it was looking in San Diego, the other here in KC
That's a very nice looking bonsai, and yeh, to see, the colour is off. It has what I call lack luster
where the depth of green has faded somewhat and or looks dull.

I wonder how long the previous owner had this bonsai, in this setting, and yes if you can find out what
it is planted in, media, and if by any chance, how long since last repot, would be helpful.
The reason I ask is a root issue could be at hand.

Also curious how long previous owner used Dawn anti Bacterial soap on it, if maybe that could be
the cause of lack luster. The soil needs bacteria of certain types I'm ignorant about, but the soap
to use for killing spider mites in Safer Soap or insecticidal soap (same), which is not soap really.
It is environmentally safe, and the ingredients - potassium salts of fatty acids, breaks down the wax
coating on the listed insects it targets, so they dehydrate and die.

also can buy at Lowes or HD or other big box stores should carry it.

HOWEVER! if you do, still get mites coming back (continue vigilant tests), Malathion is a good chemical to target mites.
1st we test, then we hose off with jetting water NOT from a power washer.
Test, go to Safer Soap if still detected, then if still a problem, a chemical approach or if you're really green
environmentally, there are Lady Bugs, and wasps that can help with a minor infestation before the trees decline.
Once declining, chemical intervention is best approach, or before it gets that bad really.

Given the possible quality of juniper you have I would like to get @Brian Van Fleet to take a look.
I'm not sure on Sun exposure at this point looking at the current health.
Wondering if there is anything specific that could help it rebound
While you're getting an upper hand on the cause of the roots or foliage, or both
my juniper respond very well to Alaska 5-1-1 and Seaweed extract.

I would remove the moss to another soil surface and water it.
When the tree needs watering, see how well the water passes through.
If it is ponding, you're going to need to repot once the foliage is strong.
If it is mucky, black and soft or has gnats about it, then it needs root work done
but this is why I would ask Brian what he thinks. I would lift it out of the pot and get a visual
on the root mass and some light prodding and smelling. The root ball should be tethered to the bottom
of the pot. Can you look underneath to see? Do you see drainage holes and do they have wire in them?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Judging by the length of shadows this recent picture with sunlight was taken early afternoon.

The one with no direct sunlight looks more green but on decline for sure.
The one taken in the Sun, looks like it's dying to me.
The other picture has hope in it, so I'd say you're on the fence.
I'm confused at why the previous owner even mention soap...
was this at the time of purchase, or after you noticed an issue, then reached out
to the previous owner for help? How much green has been lost since purchase 7 weeks ago
when you acquired the tree? I mean did the owner sell you a sick tree is what I'm confused about really.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is the composition in muck behind the rock? Or regular bonsai media covered with muck, there probably lies your underlying issue,could be drying out, some people sit there rock compositions in a water basin when it’s hot to help keep from drying, keeping this type of planting healthy can be challenging for some

JBS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I think the tree was not healthy when I brought it home (see picture1). He told me about the soap after I had it here for 6 weeks. He told me it was repotted pre-Covid, maybe 3 years ago. (Please remember, I’m new to all of this). I have always wondered why , when watering it, the water would run out the sides of the rock almost immediately. Do today, as a novice, I removed the moss, place it in water, then onto another few trees. (Hoping the is survives). The tree was completely root bound and I literally had to use a Ginsu (everybody remember the Ginsu)?knife to cut it out of the rock pot. See photos . I’m hoping that I have performed this correctly? Thanks for everyone’s advice. 6103F525-DE69-4F14-903B-46668BEE4C08.jpegB7886554-9D5F-43C2-A035-4C39D496A569.jpegC94E3A65-02E9-4AE1-ADB0-E37448F55577.jpegB9E48EC3-2159-479B-8190-BD8F73FE0832.jpegB9E48EC3-2159-479B-8190-BD8F73FE0832.jpegB9E48EC3-2159-479B-8190-BD8F73FE0832.jpegB9E48EC3-2159-479B-8190-BD8F73FE0832.jpegB9E48EC3-2159-479B-8190-BD8F73FE0832.jpegB9E48EC3-2159-479B-8190-BD8F73FE0832.jpegBDCBF3F1-CA62-4D85-8DB2-37DF33259045.jpegCECD584A-3FCA-4D9A-9E19-3EA582D45CC1.jpegCECD584A-3FCA-4D9A-9E19-3EA582D45CC1.jpeg

JBS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Picture 1 is from my original post (above) regarding this issue.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it is ponding, you're going to need to repot once the foliage is strong.
when watering it, the water would run out the sides of the rock almost immediately.

Ok that was an unexpected move.
Unfortunately you posted one picture 6 times.
Not sure if we're missing the new soil, I take it you had bonsai soil and wire on hand?
Perhaps you did what I would have done, simply
lifting the root ball to have a look.
Your surgery with the Ginsu knife and forcible removal of the root mass is considered a repotting...
(an insult in which energy is built up to sometimes more than a year in advance)
...at which time the dirt in the root ball should begin to be dealt with.
This requires some experience to know what to do...
That's a lot of dirt, so what did you do after you took the pictures above???

Anyway, 3 years in bonsai soil is not a long time. The tree is weak, and water was passing
through the root ball just fine. I merely asked how the water was passing. If it were ponding
my response would be to aerate the soil with a large nail, spike, awl or something while
the tree regains some energy. Once strengthened, then address the roots. If root rot was
symptomatic, then working the roots sooner than later would be the call. It's all based on your answer
to questions...
Remember Mites love hot and dry conditions
1652240336353.png
Next 2 days for Kansas City, MO

I'm thinking the Dawn dish soap and soil drying to be
added fuel. Hosing off mites leaves mites to come back.

This is why my 1st ? was how you went about remedying the mites you claimed to have seen.
Soap is a terrible idea. Don't use soap.
Tree needed time out before this unpotting occurred. A fantastic soaking, and TLC.
Harsh Sun and wind protection...Fish emulsion...and a lot of luck.

Top Bottom