Juniper with spider mites

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
HOWEVER! if you do, still get mites coming back (continue vigilant tests), Malathion is a good chemical to target mites.
I’d look into this further before using it on mites. They are arachnids not insects and as such the most directed and effective chemical sprays are miticides ($$$). I love the smell of the malathion, but many experts are recognizing the damaging impact of broadcast spraying certain insecticides has on beneficial predators and can make mite infestations worse.

I like forced water sprays and targeted insecticidal soap to get a handle on mites. On one tree, it should be able to get under control.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d look into this further before using it on mites. They are arachnids not insects and as such the most directed and effective chemical sprays are miticides ($$$). I love the smell of the malathion, but many experts are recognizing the damaging impact of broadcast spraying certain insecticides has on beneficial predators and can make mite infestations worse.

I like forced water sprays and targeted insecticidal soap to get a handle on mites. On one tree, it should be able to get under control.
I’ve been using it for many years rotating with insecticidal soap.
Mites are listed as targets on label. Don’t care for the smell though.
Insecticidal soap comes with a particular caution of its own, Do NOT use on transplants on the label.

JBS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
My tree is still alive but I’m not sure what is happening, it wintered outside, next to same type of trees, mulched and out of the wind etc. the other trees look great, this one not so much, no spider mites for sure…..your thoughts again please 052BCB99-DD0C-4319-BB48-476C74F4447E.jpeg4B61F62C-B11A-4FCA-A500-C9940244AF7B.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My guess it needs to be potted up with good bonsai soil.
If you've done the white paper test for mites with none showing.
It needs oxygen, and hopefully you've removed the greenery growing on top of the soil.
I wouldn't go all out on the roots when repotting.
Note: repotting is something I do when a tree is healthy and full of vigour.
But when the roots are the problem, it's not going to get better left alone.
Not to say the roots are definitely the problem, and I don't know what shimpaku
looks like with tip blight, but other trees would surely show signs if it were disease
I would think.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live on spidermite haven. 50% of my collection are Juniper. And guess what I dont have issues about it.
In my first two season of Bonsai, I applied so much chemical, but there's kids and pets in my property so I stop spraying chemical.-
But last year and this year I focus on making tree's healthy, by proper watering and misting and blasting its foliage whenever i water it, and so far its all good :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Chris

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looks like the stems have fungus. If you cut that off are you left with no foliage? I would give a copper fungicide spray to all white areas on stems, or paint with solution.

Top Bottom