Juniper Yamadori

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Yep, replant it in straight pumice. Do it now and it won’t hurt anything. Build a small wood box (no colendars) that is just large enough to accommodate roots, and no extra room at all…and wire it in tight so it can’t move. It will not make it in the current soil/bucket arrangement.

Water sparingly, but mist the trunk and foliage as often as you can…multiple times per day. Don’t let it get too much sun.

Keep taking photos every week to monitor change.

If interior foliage yellows, it’s a good sign, if all foliage changes color gradually, it’s a bad sign. You’ll know if a few weeks if it’s survived the initial shock. Don’t expect any growth until spring.

Nice trunk, good luck.
Re-potted in pumice today. There wasn't enough roots to fill the pot. Probably 40%. Is that ok?

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
As
Full sun is difficult. Very wooded here. I was hoping to keep it moist all day with the try, while I am at work 10 hours a day. Is it a bad ide
As much sun as you can give it would be great. I was advised by well-known collectors that the reason why you re-pot it in pure pumice and let it recover with that substrate is that it has excellent aeration, water absorption, and fast draining properties. So keeping it on a humidity tray somewhat defeats that purpose. Also, it might encourage root rot. To let the roots recover, develop (ramify), it’s a fun game of cat and mouse when it comes to oxygen as water balance.

I’ll post a photo of my collected material tomorrow (daytime) for comparison.

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally I wouldn't let it sit in a water tray. I let my collected RMJ slightly dry out before watering it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Water sparingly, but mist the trunk and foliage as often as you can…multiple times per day. Don’t let it get too much sun.
This is the critical advice! I worked with lots of people who brought in yamadori junipers from the California desert and mountains. The roots are impaired, so you have to slow down the rate of transpiration from the tree while not overwatering the roots. This includes:

(1) Misting the foliage
(2) Protecting from wind or building a humidity tent
(3) Bright indirect light, but no direct sun
(4) Do not overwater the roots! In fact, be careful when you mist the foliage that water does not drip into the soil and saturate the soil - particularly if you are using misters set on a timer. Consider tenting the soil loosely with plastic (don't make it air-tight because you still need air to circulate) so that excess rain or sprinkler water runs off. This way the soil is only watered when you decide it needs it.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I planted in straight pumice, as per suggestions, and this is the result as of January 28th 2022. No Sub-Zero Temps. Watered adequately, dying. Any suggestions?

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I think the tree is on its way out.
I still see green that it's pushing out... so don't give up on it yet. Can I see the substrate and the container? Did you take out that humidity tray?

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Aw man...sorry to hear but hopefully not too late.
What are your thoughts as to why that might be happening?
Tree might be working out the chopped roots? Could one of the chopped roots belong to that branch?
Wondering if a clear bag with a few small holes over the foliage to help retain humidity?
It needs a hospital

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I still see green that it's pushing out... so don't give up on it yet. Can I see the substrate and the container? Did you take out that humidity tray?
It is in a 2 gallon black pot in 100% pumice. I feel like I should have left it in its native soil. I took it out of the humidity tray. This picture is two weeks old. It is much more crispy now.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Aw man...sorry to hear but hopefully not too late.
What are your thoughts as to why that might be happening?
Tree might be working out the chopped roots? Could one of the chopped roots belong to that branch?
Wondering if a clear bag with a few small holes over the foliage to help retain humidity?
It needs a hospital
I might try the bag. The foliage is very very dry.

Top Bottom