Juniper Yamadori

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Today I dug up this juniper. Is there anything special I can do to raise the chances of success with this plant? I took care when digging it up, I did however sever one tap Root. I believe I have plenty of small roots and feeder roots. Picture on its way

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don’t know if I’m qualified to answer this thread but since you aren’t getting replies I will chime in and mention that a lot of people transfer their yamadori to 100% pumice and keep it well watered. Also, more sunlight is helpful for a juniper’s recovery. Thats all based on reading I’ve done. Hopefully someone with experience collecting juniper will comment, and correct me if I’m wrong!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd start with:
  • Plant it in straight pumice.
  • Make sure the tree can't move in its pot.
  • Place it near a wind block.
There are ways to make it more complicated, but this is a good place to start.
This. ^^^^^^

each point as important as the next. But these 3 are big time.

I usually mist my junipers 2-3 times per day for the first month or two.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this yard plant or from countryside. If the former NOT Yamadori. Very good trunk. Very exceedingly good possibilties☺️. Along with keeping tree stable and suggestion to not repot for at least 2 years Make sure container has excellent drainage. Electric drill can be used to minimize wrestling/disturbance of container.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yep, replant it in straight pumice. Do it now and it won’t hurt anything. Build a small wood box (no colendars) that is just large enough to accommodate roots, and no extra room at all…and wire it in tight so it can’t move. It will not make it in the current soil/bucket arrangement.

Water sparingly, but mist the trunk and foliage as often as you can…multiple times per day. Don’t let it get too much sun.

Keep taking photos every week to monitor change.

If interior foliage yellows, it’s a good sign, if all foliage changes color gradually, it’s a bad sign. You’ll know if a few weeks if it’s survived the initial shock. Don’t expect any growth until spring.

Nice trunk, good luck.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like it's planted in dirt, which is just fine, that's probably better than where it came from. Don't repot for a couple years. You are entering the fire season in SoCal, so make sure it neither stays too wet nor suffers from drought. It needs sun but not heat. Are the roots as long/deep as the pail insinuates?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, replant it in straight pumice. Do it now and it won’t hurt anything.
Looks like it's planted in dirt, which is just fine, that's probably better than where it came from. Don't repot for a couple years.
There you have it. Clear, uniform recommendations :)

I am with open airy substrate!

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I also strongly advice to plant it in straight pumice. the success rate of my collected materials have improved when I started following this practice.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Looks like it's planted in dirt, which is just fine, that's probably better than where it came from. Don't repot for a couple years. You are entering the fire season in SoCal, so make sure it neither stays too wet nor suffers from drought. It needs sun but not heat. Are the roots as long/deep as the pail insinuates?
No the roots are about 8 to 10 in

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like the consensus is repot in pumice. Do I wash all soil from Roots first?
Yes. And repot it into a tight fitting container.

Top Bottom