Junipers that don't bite

JohnW63

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is very common and I guess very popular to use some type of Juniper as a bonsai. Personally, I'm not that fond of junipers because many of them are sharp ! Which junipers or similar variety of tree is not so stiff in the foliage department ? I know my climate is OK for some of them ( 8b I recently found ).

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Shimpaku ar the softest foliage. The Procumbens are not bad either and the ones you sometimes find that are listed as Chinese Juniper.

ed

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jim beat me to the recommendation of gloves. I use Atlas Nitrile stretch gloves. They are light and thin for good touch, but tough enough to protect you from needles.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Timely question. A neighbor gave me two of these junipers...no idea what kind. Soft pulling to tips, but sharp going pushing towards the trunk. Plus, it only puts branches out the side. Not great at all but didn't want to insult neighbor. So I thought I could practice grafting in them at the very least.

But one thing occurred to me on grafts in general. If say you graft on shimpaku, what about all the NEW growth? Wouldn't it still be pushing out the nasty original foliage? So with grafts, do you have to constantly cut off growth of the orig. foliage?

Here's a pic:
juni2.jpg
juni1.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jim beat me to the recommendation of gloves. I use Atlas Nitrile stretch gloves. They are light and thin for good touch, but tough enough to protect you from needles.

I agree 100% Now we just have to figure out how to keep ANY variety alive - Those are the only type of plant we have zero success with to a point where we did not buy any again this year to try again. If we do try next Spring I am hoping lordy or someone can kindly get my head wrapped around them. :eek:

Top Bottom