Juniperus × pfitzeriana 'Old Gold'

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thought this tree deserves it's own thread. Collected around 5/15, but very close to the lake, = very cold and delayed spring growth. (there's still trees along the lake that still has no leaves on it!) Under shade, wind protection and 2min mister q. 4 hrs.

I believe I'm already seeing some terminal new growth?? Plan to bring to full sun when I def. see new growth.

Attachments

• Juni1.jpg
    Juni1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Juni2.jpg
    Juni2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Juni3.jpg
    Juni3.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Juni4.jpg
    Juni4.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 146

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd be inclined to leave it just as you have it until next year.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be inclined to leave it just as you have it until next year.
Or gradually increase the amount of sun...I definitely wouldn't "bring to full sun when I def. see new growth" unless that translates to "gradually increase the amount of sun when I def. see new growth".

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Or gradually increase the amount of sun...I definitely wouldn't "bring to full sun when I def. see new growth" unless that translates to "gradually increase the amount of sun when I def. see new growth".

Yes Chris, this is what I planned and should've stated better.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How is this one coming along? I have an "old gold" that I got last year before I thought much about how long it would take to increase the trunk size by freely growing it out. I repotted it this year out of the nursery soil into decent bonsai soil and it's growing like crazy.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
It's doing great! Out in full sun with no more misting. At this rate, I'll prob. be able to give it it's first style next spring. Bonsai pot in the following yr.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good news on this one! It has plenty of potential.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Good news on this one! It has plenty of potential.

I hear ya Brian! I'm so excited again, considering 'my collected' tree's (yews) did not fare well last yr. Great to have saved a ton of roots and foliage this time, and in pure pumice....(that prob. would've helped I believe with the yews instead of turface/lava which didn't give me even saturation what w. the huge bases? I am trying to understand my mistakes lol)

This one is a very interesting piece of material for urban yamadori. And I will totally agree with ya..."but it has plenty of potential" ;)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ok, I think I finally have better skills dealing with newly collected material. Full sun, tons of ferts, misting => tons of new growth. I have no doubt I will not loose this one this winter.

I can't wait to start working this, though I may wait another yr? I need to discuss with my teacher.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
image.jpeg Decided to wait another yr despite great growth. Nothing exciting ;) But here's a pic of the dw work I did last yr. Still green at the time so all this was fiber pulling. I still need to work on that crevice in the front.

Last edited:
Top Bottom