Juniperus chinesis from Box Store

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello all
I am brand new to Bonsai. I have read and read and finally purchased some plants. I went to a box store and found some plants on the clearance racks for 5 bucks. I bought Juniperus chinesis. It is a low growing one not very large in a 1 gallon pot. What is the first few things I need to do with it? I will try and get some photos.

Do I leave it in the pot it came with? Put it in the ground? Or put in a training pot? Do I mess with the branches at all?

Thanks

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Leave it in the pot. Take four good picturess , one from each side and post them here. Then someone much smarter than me can probably give you some good advise.

Also find every bonsai club within 100 mi and join them all. Go to as many meetings as you can and drag the poor plant with you. Someone there will probably tell you to plant it in the ground for five to ten years and ,while you're waiting for it to die or grow , go to a bonsai nursery , take $100 and but a real pre bonsai. This will allow you to ask questions at the nursery as well as at the meetings.

BTW , stick with junipers ( especially chiensis ) for now as they can take a massive amount of abuse.

Top Bottom