Juniperus Chinesis Sargentii var 'Virdis'

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Juniperus chinensis sargentii 'Viridis'

Hey everyone, new here and to bonsai. My name is Pete. I just picked this up at Home Depot for $7 one of a few projects I have started this year. I pruned it a bit to let some light/air in and visualize a trunk line. My plan is to now leave it rather untouched in either ground or grow box and just fert and water for a number of years. I also took some cuttings. The trunk is 1.5" across at the base and about 25% is mature foliage. Let me know your thoughts to the material and where you guys would go with this. The color and foliage on this was the best I have seen at a "Home Store" thus far.

Attachments

• 08092013475.jpg
    08092013475.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 08092013471.jpg
    08092013471.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 08092013470.jpg
    08092013470.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd cut off that long skinny thing (right side in last pic) as it will never contribute to what otherwise looks like it can be a nice informal upright or -- if you must -- cascade.

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'd cut off that long skinny thing (right side in last pic) as it will never contribute to what otherwise looks like it can be a nice informal upright or -- if you must -- cascade.
left as sacrafice for trunk thickening while in ground? Good idea?
I am leaning toward informal upright.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It depends.

1. The trunk already looks pretty good. How large a bonsai do you want to make?

2. Do you want to chop and leave a jin (yawn)?

3. If not, how much of a scar do you want to deal with?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends.

No question on taxonomy?

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It depends.

to be honest i was prepared to wait with this one. I would like a 16 to 18 inch tree that would take at least a 2.5" to 3" trunk if I am correct for proportions.

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am planning on planting this in the ground this week. Should I plant this in the ground with bonsai soil components mixed in(granite,turface,bark) and should I comb out the roots? Or would that be a waste of soil components. What are your typical feild growing prep techniques for junipers?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is a good idea to start the transition to a granular soil. Expanded shale is pretty cheap. I like to dig the hole extra big and then gradually mix in that and maybe some black cow (composted manure) as I refill the hole to give it a transition zone. It is worth checking out the base and root as long as you have it out of the pot. Rather than combing out all of the roots you might have to trim away a few of the top roots to get to an area with an even spread of roots on all sides, and then put a thick piece of wire around the thick root or roots below that point. Put a good twist on the wire and it will slowly strangle the lower roots leaving a nice base behind.

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Its new home

Finally planted in its new home to clip and grow a few years.

Attachments

• 08222013508-001.jpg
    08222013508-001.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 109

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wood or Vance

No question on taxonomy?

This is something I was wondering as well. I found that this is called a "Green Sargent Juniper". There is not too much info I have found on this type. Here is an attatched picture of the mature foliage I snipped off, scale like and color more reminicent of Itoigawa or Kishu. I have two regular sargentii sargents and the look of that foliage is destinctly different and more blue compared to this more vivid green soft foliage. Any opinions or thoughts?

Attachments

• 08242013515.jpg
    08242013515.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 95

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is something I was wondering as well. I found that this is called a "Green Sargent Juniper". There is not too much info I have found on this type. Here is an attatched picture of the mature foliage I snipped off, scale like and color more reminicent of Itoigawa or Kishu. I have two regular sargentii sargents and the look of that foliage is destinctly different and more blue compared to this more vivid green soft foliage. Any opinions or thoughts?

Sargents Juniper is the sub-species of Chinese Juniper that is the source of the Junipers we know as Shimpaku, which is essentially a sub-species of a sub-species. The Shimpaku is the Juniper identified in many of the old bonsai publications as Sargents Juniper and applied to many of the drop dead Junipers we have seen in many books and magazines for sixty years. This sub-species is wonderful to work with under bonsai culture, the way the tree grows it almost styles itself. The Sargents Juniper on the other hand is very difficult to make into a bonsai. They tend to abandon branches that you may have been working on for years (been there had that happen), they seem to look for every excuse they can to revert to juvenile growth and take years to revert back. Cannot stand being root bound with out dropping foliage.

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sargents Juniper is the sub-species of Chinese Juniper that is the source of the Junipers we know as Shimpaku, which is essentially a sub-species of a sub-species. The Shimpaku is the Juniper identified in many of the old bonsai publications as Sargents Juniper and applied to many of the drop dead Junipers we have seen in many books and magazines for sixty years. This sub-species is wonderful to work with under bonsai culture, the way the tree grows it almost styles itself. The Sargents Juniper on the other hand is very difficult to make into a bonsai. They tend to abandon branches that you may have been working on for years (been there had that happen), they seem to look for every excuse they can to revert to juvenile growth and take years to revert back. Cannot stand being root bound with out dropping foliage.
So, with your experience is this a project worth while to continue? Perhaps grow and future graft. Or would you say that it can be done but the tree is just more difficult. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So, with your experience is this a project worth while to continue? Perhaps grow and future graft. Or would you say that it can be done but the tree is just more difficult. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes the project is worth the effort just don't expect a lot and when you get some good results you can tell every-body that Vance Wood is full of &#!+, you never know what's going to happen.

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well here is a quick update on this $7 Green Sargent Juniper. It has not skipped a beat in the last 4 years. Growing in ground with a few chop backs last year.

Trunk is really thickening, and foliage is about 3/4 mature. Some really interesting branch structure developing for what could become nice Jins.

Pardon the ugly attempt at a graft at the lower right hand side of picture 2. It is a sacrifice branch that I practiced a graft attempt on, with a spare shimpaku scion. Just wanted to take a first stab at it. Be nice ....

NCM_7284.JPG NCM_7285.JPG NCM_7287.JPG

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
not bad! I commend you for putting it in the ground like you should have done! it'll be a sweet tree! what else do you have? more pictures!

Top Bottom