Juniperus Communis 1- Tourism Damage Rescue

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So whilst surveying the “leftovers” and impact of the HUNDREDS of tourists this weekend... i noticed a “fort”.... using this unearthed “bad boy” as part of the roof...

So i thought i’d try to save it.. as it had SUCH a root-mass “going”.

If it survives... just going to let it thicken up...

Future ground-layer candidate.

BB04FFE6-C3D6-46C1-A9C2-5D2C1B32EF66.jpeg454931CA-584A-4B42-B94D-13F93130EE80.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s the only NON-ground cover juni that grows by me.. it kind of looks like someone pulled it from a pot.. with that rootball... there was pine bark “all up in it”... and sawdust?...

I’ll get closer pics of the foliage.. just for accuracy.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They can be a real pain in the ass, I hope it makes it, but speaking from experience you don't know for sure until spring 2021.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They can be a real pain in the ass, I hope it makes it, but speaking from experience you don't know for sure until spring 2021.

Thank you!

He’s just relaxing in the “bright shade” ;) for a while.. I will update it anything significant happens between now/next season.

:)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just so you know, there's a fine drink made from/with the berries over here called Jenever.
Ketel One is exported to the US I believe. It's worth a try if your tree makes it. If not, it's still worth a try.. Just to numb the loss.

It is said that the communis berries contain a chemical analogue for estrogen, traditionally they're used a lot in French cuisine. I'll leave the jokes about that to the others. ;-)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just so you know, there's a fine drink made from/with the berries over here called Jenever.
Ketel One is exported to the US I believe. It's worth a try if your tree makes it. If not, it's still worth a try.. Just to numb the loss.

It is said that the communis berries contain a chemical analogue for estrogen, traditionally they're used a lot in French cuisine. I'll leave the jokes about that to the others. ;-)

juniper berries in Gin...

hey, back when i drank over a decade ago (33 now) kettle one was my hard drink of choice

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Neat! I used to do “drop bottle wine”... or hooch. I would do it WAY less “nasty” than the name, “hooch” implies.

Experimented with different natural compounds/enzymes and charted the results.. Trying forced, as well as “Laid-back” methods of fermentation.

(All amatuerish.. of course ;) )

Bromelain (sp?) from pineapple was QUITE interesting... fastest I’ve tried.. in only 2 weeks, it “measured” around 8 percent..

I found it more rewarding and less stressful than evaporation distillation... only ran those beasts twice. (two consecutive “autumns”)... to me, DEFINITELY not worth it....

Buuuut I don’t drink, these days..(was a year on june 29th)

Yellow was NOT a good look for me.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just let the damage/collection “run it’s course” on this beast over the growing season... it’s clear that the trauma is more received on one side of the canopy (above AND below, most likely)
2F19528B-0FE1-4CA6-A819-772A75D191F9.jpeg
Upon removing the “deadies”.. I noticed newly developing berries... neat! (And a sign of decent health I HOPE)
DFD6146F-CB14-43FE-8EC1-CA5449C36360.jpeg
And this is were we ended up tonight... I KNOW what I, personally am considering with this LESS than “great” piece of material.. but.. (shy of “burn it”-type comments) am curious what anyone else’s thoughts are?
919DE5DD-71EF-419F-87AC-7B02099F5D23.jpeg

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So your j. communis has needle foliage, as does the j. communis 'depressa' I have access to. The main difference I can see is that you're touching the foliage, while the foliage of 'depressa' is something I touch only with thick gloves, or with tweezers handy. Is this tree, which appears to have scale foliage, j. communis?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So your j. communis has needle foliage, as does the j. communis 'depressa' I have access to. The main difference I can see is that you're touching the foliage, while the foliage of 'depressa' is something I touch only with thick gloves, or with tweezers handy. Is this tree, which appears to have scale foliage, j. communis?
Hmm! I am not sure entirely! 🤓

I know I definitely SHOULD be wearing gloves... the needles on my little monstrosity WILL break the skin.
🤣

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Communis is a strictly needle plant. Young shoots can appear to be scale like, but they end up as needles. Always.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@HorseloverFat
I would have stripped the bark off the deadwood, rather than cut the deadwood off. The deadwood (jin) could possibly been incorporated into an eventual design. But that is "too late" and would not change my next piece of advice.

Just let it grow out "un-molested" for at least one full growing season, meaning don't start pruning and hacking at it until autumn 2021. Actually if you can, let it go 2 or 3 years, to develop some character.

It is arrow straight right now. You might wire the bigger branches to horizontal, in preparation to a formal or informal upright style. Wire the trunk to "absolutely straight", for eventual formal upright, wire some curves into the trunk to make an informal upright. The wiring can be done this year or next year, no rush, juniper stays flexible for at least a couple years.

Top Bottom