juniperus communis what would you do ?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i know thats why i said to Let it gain health and do a propper repot probably into a collander to get an healthy rootball

i am Just wondering what style to aim for in the future
time is none of the essence ;)

but i agree that it's hard to stay patience haha
Let it grow. look at it everyday. Look at lots of pics of juniper bonsais. In a couple years, you might know which way to take it. Let the tree "talk" to you as ot grows, so to speak. At least, that's how I am approaching a number of my trees for which is too early to style them

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let it grow. look at it everyday. Look at lots of pics of juniper bonsais. In a couple years, you might know which way to take it. Let the tree "talk" to you as ot grows, so to speak. At least, that's how I am approaching a number of my trees for which is too early to style them

Look above ive already styled it :p
It will be a literati tree when i prune the lower branches off

They stay on for now for good health but also when i decide to prune them off i hope i will be able to be left over with one single live vein!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Look above ive already styled it :p
It will be a literati tree when i prune the lower branches off

They stay on for now for good health but also when i decide to prune them off i hope i will be able to be left over with one single live vein!
I know! LOL I need to start reading the post dates!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome Dennis! I think even your sacrifice branch could stay and it'd still make a nice tree.
I'm going to get myself a communis too. Now they're off the red list of endangered plants, I added one to the wishlist. I didnt even know they were off that list, because locally there are still protection programs in place.

I've had way to many shots of Jenever and cocktails containing it, to not get a communis. Lol!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome Dennis! I think even your sacrifice branch could stay and it'd still make a nice tree.
I'm going to get myself a communis too. Now they're off the red list of endangered plants, I added one to the wishlist. I didnt even know they were off that list, because locally there are still protection programs in place.

I've had way to many shots of Jenever and cocktails containing it, to not get a communis. Lol!

Thnx!

Its a juniperus stricta btw not a communis
But communis is still a good species tough!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I see you are from the netherlands lol
If you looking for a communis i advice you to visit ruud lagas in vucht he has quite a few of them!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I found out that my favorite nursery delivers them to my back yard, or front yard, whatever I tell them to. For a lower price than most bonsai nurseries. I'm also a member of the IVN, of which a team heads out annually to clear up patches of junipers (and replant new ones). I might be able to pry off a few seeds if I volunteer.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the tip! I found out that my favorite nursery delivers them to my back yard, or front yard, whatever I tell them to. For a lower price than most bonsai nurseries. I'm also a member of the IVN, of which a team heads out annually to clear up patches of junipers (and replant new ones). I might be able to pry off a few seeds if I volunteer.

Nice!
Lagas bonsai is one of the few nursery's with decent pricing i think and lots lots of juniperus!
Delivery is nice but i like to pick out the tree myself tough
I might be moving soon and at the new location there are 3 big old pear tree's so in the worst case i have to sell or stall my juniperus trees because im worried if i put the juniperus outside there they will get infected by rust :(

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'll see if my collegues might have a trick up their sleeves. At least one of them owns a pear orchard. She might know more tricks, maybe even from generations ago.

The nursery where I order my plants takes customer service pretty serious, un-dutch actually. They go the extra mile and then some. I want to support that in every way I can because companies like that are scarce.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll see if my collegues might have a trick up their sleeves. At least one of them owns a pear orchard. She might know more tricks, maybe even from generations ago.

The nursery where I order my plants takes customer service pretty serious, un-dutch actually. They go the extra mile and then some. I want tio support that in every way I can because companies like that are scarce.

Ah thats appriciated !
Wich nursery are you ordering from t?
Maybe i can order there too sometime!

Reaction score
Looking good Dennis! That first branch on the right does make a good second trunk! Bit of balance to the force ;)
Taking big steps now, sweet :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good Dennis! That first branch on the right does make a good second trunk! Bit of balance to the force ;)
Taking big steps now, sweet :)

Thnx !
Maybe father son style with the right branch was my tought!
My plan is:
Im letting it grow till mid june now and then thin out the "non keeper" branches to make sure the keeper branches will be stronger im not sure my way of thinking about this is right but so far i got the tree pretty healthy

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one has been relieved from the bad clay rock hard ball of soil it originally came with out of the groserie's store and it's doing good so far.

Looking back at page 1 of this post I am still happy with the progress I am makeing with this 10 € practice tree
I can see improvement in my wireing ability
by looking back trough this thread and its funny to realize that its almost 3 years ago I started this thread and I've learned so much since, One of the great things about bonsainut isn't it!

IMG_20190721_133704.jpgIMG_20190721_133715.jpgIMG_20190721_133722.jpg

For now I'll be pulling dead needles to keep it tidey and let it recover from the repot

In winter perhaps one more round of raffia and thick wire to increase some bends to be a little more dramatic?

Also still wondering to use the seccond trunk to shape similar as the big trunk as father son literati?
Would love to see some shared thoughts about my project

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The choice of this pot ended up in being a bad decision because the bottom is smaller in diameter then the top of the pot and it being a tall tree in the pot made it an easy victim of tipping over by the wind
Well now when the wind blows I put it on the ground to prevent that.

Yesterday went to bed there was little wind a bit of rain and even a brick on top of the pot to prevent it falling from the bench...... Guess what storm came and it blew of my bench found it on the ground 9n the way down it broke off some branches from my cotinus standing below it and the pot was smashed so filling back this pot with soil was no option.

Emergency repotted it Into another plastic pot but with a wider diametre at the bottom hoping to make it more stable luckily the roots looked healthy and the tree was growing well so far so let's hope it stays that way since this tree has a special story to it for me.
Lesson learned!

Top Bottom