Juniperus ground layer

Reaction score
Tried to look up the wider web, but information is scant and contradictory. So simple question: can junipers be ground layered? Has anyone tried with success?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've seen photos, I've seen trees where junipers were ground layered. But I have actually never done so myself. I have rooted cuttings from Shimpaku, and J. horizontalis. Any species that roots from cuttings easily, should ground layer. But I have not had to do so myself.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, they can. I never tried it, but I've had succes.
Pfizers around here are potted deep, and they send out roots all over the trunk within a year or so.
Chinensis started rooting in my raffia wrap.

I'm trying some hybrid air layers by doing nothing but wrapping branches in moss. I expect them to grow roots in year 1, then I'll remove a ring of bark below the roots as a cherry on the cake, and leave them for another year if that's needed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most junipers ground layer easily. If I plant them a bit too deep there will be a new set of roots growing from the trunks after a year, even without any treatment. My field grown shimpaku even grow aerial roots from trunk and low branches if there is enough low branch cover to maintain humid environment near the ground.
I can also air layer without any treatment but it is a bit of a lottery where the roots will grow.

Go for ground layers. It is highly likely to work.

Top Bottom