Juniperus nana winter care

Reaction score
I need some info about winter care?
I have 2 juniperus nana bonsai. I live in Texas.
Thanks

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Junipers need to have some winter dormancy. There is a ton of information out there.

J P

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If you don't feel comfortable listing your location you can list what zone you are in.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you don't feel comfortable listing your location you can list what zone you are in.

You can also just list a county and state, if you prefer :) Texas is pretty big and has some different climates depending on whether you are east or west.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you live in the DFW area as I do then you know there are times when it can get awful cold. My procumbens along with my other trees stay out until the temps reach the lower 30s and sometimes the upper 20s. After that they go into my unheated garage until the temps go back up which in my area of Texas isn't usually long, maybe a few days or more.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IDK, nanas are pretty tough. I had four I just heeled in with leaves against the side of the house and they were fine. But some additional protection can't hurt that's for sure.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They take zone 4 just fine with little protection.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Put it on the ground on the north side of the house/garage/barn and put mulch around the pot. They survive just fine in our bitter cold Michigan winters. A Texas winter should be a piece of cake.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you're down here in the Houston area just outside is perfectly fine unless it gets into the low 30's. Then just bring them inside or cover the pots with mulch.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Low 30’s??? I leave my olive outside until it falls into the low 30’s. Junipers can handle being in frozen soil for months on end... a winter in Houston founds like a vacation for junipers.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Low 30’s??? I leave my olive outside until it falls into the low 30’s. Junipers can handle being in frozen soil for months on end... a winter in Houston founds like a vacation for junipers.

Not a vacation for junipers when its high 60's and four hours later it's 30 degrees. I leave my junipers outside until it freezes over then at that point it's time to get them out of the harsh wind, so against the house an under mulch or in the garage.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Not a vacation for junipers when its high 60's and four hours later it's 30 degrees. I leave my junipers outside until it freezes over then at that point it's time to get them out of the harsh wind, so against the house an under mulch or in the garage.
That's every other day during the colder months here in N GA. The rest of the days, the days swing from 40 to 20 degrees and back again the next day... freeze at night and thaw by early afternoon. Mine stay on my bench unless it's falling into the teens, and some of my junipers will actually put on a little bit of growth during the typical winter here. In my 20 + years keeping bonsai, both here and in MA, I've never had to bring a juniper inside for winter protection, and in MA they would be frozen for months on end and see sub zero temps every winter... never lost one to winter cold or noted any damage related to the cold. All I'm saying is they're tougher then you may think.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen them take close to 40 degrees below zero.
Mulched in and under snow.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep mine up against the house under a layer of leaves and it has survived and thrived for years. We have the same types of temperature variability here that Dave4 described. Comsequently I do think that the layer of leaves or bark mulch is important to buffer the roots against rapid changes in soil temperatures like those Dav4 described. It also helps prevent the soil from drying out.

Top Bottom