Juniperus Phoenicea / Turbinata

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello,

During my little vacation in Spain, I found some awesome junipers. These are Turbinata, looking a lot like Phoenicea. The difference is in the berry and flowering time; turbinata has more oval berries and flowers in august/september instead of the spring.
I can only estimate that the sometimes 5-10 meter long buried-by-dune trunks correspond with quite the age.
Here's an example of a 'smaller' one.
20180829_105533.jpg

20180829_105539.jpg
The foliage is remarkably dense, partially because they tend to live near the shore where salt spray and winds are part and parcel. This does however, cause some nice preservation of deadwood.

20180829_111557.jpg
The inhabitants are no joke either! Ants, grasshoppers, and huge spiders. This spider bent a centimeter thick branch.

All in all, I think these Mediterranean junipers are pretty badass. And from what I've seen, they're pretty pretty. I want one! No, I want 10 of them!

After scoring some local disinfectants and cleaning materials, I felt alright with taking a few cuttings and seeds. These are still in quarantine for now and they will be for some time. Even though the EU has let me take them to my home country, it doesn't mean I should be fooling around with possible disease vectors. Overly cautious? Maybe, I mean, I've been climbing and crawling around these shrubs trying to get phenotypes with dense balled up foliage. There actually was a lot of variation between plants. The soles of my shoes and nearly every piece of clothing has touched branches so if anything lives on them, it now lives on my shoes or at least spreads from them. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be cautious with live material.
While in quarantine, I am trying to figure out more about these junipers. What makes them tick, what they like and love, and how I can get them accustomed to my not-so-Mediterranean northern climate.

Is there anyone able to provide some more information about these? My Spanish is pretty rusty, so is my French, but I think articles in those languages would be just fine too. English info about these junipers is just very limited and I don't know where to look for it. For the heck of it, even German would be fine.
Anything other than the wikipedia page, anything at all is much appreciated!

Have a nice day everyone!

Top Bottom