• Sell it

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I received this beast 2 years ago and just let it grow and grow , I now have enough to start wiring some the secondary and propiatary branches down. Most of the main branches are growing slightly upwards unfortunately and just lacks in my eyes , I like the trees but it's boring ! Anyways These things grow fast!

I have considered doing a redesign with what we have , I have also thought about splitting them up using the main tree and another in their own separate pots and doing a three tree Forrest.

I'm not a huge fan of the composition at the moment and I'm not trying to continue to rip off the beautiful Goshin. I'm Up in the air on this one just seems kind of blah to me , but come spring something is about to happen!

Or......trade it !! What you got ?!

IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2425.JPG
IMG_2426.JPG IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2428.JPG

Last edited:

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it would be a shame to split them up, but the heavy tree on the far right stops my eye and seems to compete with the main tree. If you could somehow replace it with someting smaller it might add contrast to the composition and allow the focus to rest on the middle tree. Maybe I'm in over my head, but it's what I see.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It looks like you'd have a bunch of boring individual trees if you split them up. I'd stick with forest and go with a Goshin homage. You sure those aren't foemina? The foliage doesn't look like my rigida; especially the mature scale runners.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Brian I may have my juniperus' mixed up juniperus chinesis "foemina" is most likely what it is I believe rigida is a bit more difficult to obtain here in the US, yet the two are very similar and respond alike to bonsai techniques ? Correct me again if I'm wrong ,you seem to be good at that :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently saw, I forget if it was a single tree or a group, but it was like this....with the branches at 45d up exits.

I think it was Cypress or crypto....

Anyway, I remember liking it, but thinking how everything else had to be so perfect for me to like it.
Japan perfect. Long range....absolutely perfect...

I wouldn't have the patience or wire to make it so good.

But it can be done.

Let Walter style a juvenile ERC ....
And I'll enjoy it better than them old foemina!

So for me...
Wiring it wouldn't add enough value to sell it...
I don't have the love for the upright branches.

But I've seen this look better in your hands....

It depends!

Sure a waste to split em up IMO.

Wire it and sell it.

Or sell it!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It does make me think of Goshin, I think Brian's idea of a little Goshin Homage is a good one....although it doesn't have the right number of trees....
If you want to ditch the Goshin image as much as possible, but not split up the planting, I would add more smaller trees in the background, to create a more "deep looking" forest...forced prospective.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to see as much individual tree up top as I do below. Excessive below actually and a few smaller stems would relieve the park-like feel. I want to be carried beyond, led to believe that there's more forest the other side of the hill. Definitely keep going with it!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Are you going to wire it out, like 100% ? nice tree's

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This seems the previous owner tried at some point to lower some of the main branches on each tree and actually severed them from the trunk I managed to bring a couple of the upper branches down a bit . The secondary twiggy branches I will bring down and fan out, so most of the main branches will be left alone for now . Suprisingly there are only 1-3 main branches on each tree , there are 2 in the main tree .

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
After you attacked me in another thread, I went back to review some of your material Jriddell- you have some quality stuff man! Credit where due.

This one has a lot of potential, I also felt (I think BVF said) there was something kind of similar Goshin hiding in there! Cannot wait to see what you do with it.

That all said, the down side of this one is so many trees of very similar size, is there any way to get a few smaller ones to add to the arrangement? Maybe near the back side of the planting?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you wiring this one over winter? I think you can have an enjoyable forest look, I dig the needle junipers!

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nah it’s frozen to the bench can’t move it , plus it’s like 60 pounds or somewhere near , price tags still on it though

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you could add a few different sized trunks in would greatly improve it. I'd thin it out and separate it into three pieces and replant with a few smaller trunks. If you need some I have a variety of sizes available...... just saying :)

Top Bottom