Juniperus Sabina 'Tamariscifolia'

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has worked with these before. I found one at a local nursery that looks like its been sitting there for a while and has a nicely shaped trunk. Would there be any reason not to use this specific type of juniper? It was only 30 bucks and in a 5 gallon pot.

Thanks

Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've not worked with these, or know anyone who has, but they are popular in Europe, where they're native. Graham Potter has a couple videos with Sabina junipers, here's one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one I've been working on for about 12 years. The foliage grows in little sprays which is pretty neat, but I have found it challenging. I used to pinch the new growth which in retrospect, was the wrong thing to do because it reduces vigor. The other lesson I realized was that the scale of my tree is too small to accommodate the 'weepy' new foliage sprays and create a convincing composition; the tree needs to be bigger, so I am letting it grow wild for now. A 5 gallon tree should be good starting stock. Keep an eye out for spider mites and fertilize heavily. Let me know what you learn!

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Defect, I noticed you live in Santa Cruz,have you ever attended any of the Santa Cruz Bonsai Kai meetings? If not you might want too,there are some very knowledgeable people in the club. Check us out on Facebook.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Logan, I actually live in Felton. You must be right near me.....the towns not to big, heck I might have even met you already. haha. Im right up from the big foot museum. I actually did check you guys out a few years ago but then moved up to Sacramento. Was planning on joining you guys sometime soon.

Last edited:

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
About the tree in this post. I went back to take a closer look and found out it had some nasty reverse taper on it which is to bad.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Defect, I live down the road from the Covered Bridge Park in Felton Grove. We have a meeting coming up this Saturday(19th) come join us. To bad about the tree. Have you checked out Redwood Nursery on the frontage road along Hiway 17 in Scotts Valley, she has alot of older material there for fair prices. Anyway maybe I'll see you Sat. Pete

Top Bottom