Juniperus squamata 'Blue Alps'

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow..I love this tree. It is absolutely beautiful.

Rob

I know! I really, REALLY, wanted to win the drawing on that one. But I never win drawings like that... lol. I did buy quite a few tickets for it. :rolleyes:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be awesome if the tree survived and the person who won it happens to belong to B-nut... and shares an update... ;) ;)

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for posting this Dan! This is a great tree - much more impressive than mine! Marco did a great job with the initial styling. He can make any juniper look good, let alone one with good potential like this.

Of course I've gotta be a jerk and mention that the straightness of the first two branches bothers me :)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol, I noticed that too. -- And just for clarification, Marco led the workshop I was in, and Marc did this demo... A little bit confusing! Lol

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know if leaving those branches straight was on purpose. However, it doesn't bother me. Actually, I think I like it. It might be on purpose for a couple of reasons. First, putting bends in those branches would shorten them up. The branches are now at the perfect length to let grow out. Also, when the pads fill in, you will probably not see much of the actual branch.

Here are some examples.

Rob

Attachments

• juniper-bonsai[1].jpg
    juniper-bonsai[1].jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 30
  • menorcan_juniper_001[1].jpg
    menorcan_juniper_001[1].jpg
    46 KB · Views: 29
  • sculptural[1].jpg
    sculptural[1].jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 32

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't know if leaving those branches straight was on purpose. However, it doesn't bother me. Actually, I think I like it. It might be on purpose for a couple of reasons. First, putting bends in those branches would shorten them up. The branches are now at the perfect length to let grow out. Also, when the pads fill in, you will probably not see much of the actual branch.

Here are some examples.

Rob

What's the story on three masterpieces?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What's the story on three masterpieces?

Hi Vance... I think the first one might be from the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection. However, I am not sure. The next one is from artist Antoni Payeras. The third one is from artist Carlos Van Der Vaart. They are all spectacular, but that third one is just incredible. All demonstrate, very well, the straight branching situation being discussed.

Rob

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

Here are some examples.

Rob

This is an interesting topic. I would bet a nice pot that if all of the artists could put some natural looking up-down rhythmic movement into the first branch to complement the dynamic trunk, they would. I think they lack the movement in the first branch because of technical limitations.

I can see Marc applied raffia to the first branch and pulled it forward, so it must have some back-front movement, but as you know October, it can be very difficult to put natural looking curves in a short branch with any reasonable thickness. I have many collected Thuja where it is out of the question and not even worth trying. The only reason there is movement in the branches on the Blue Alps I posted it because I did it back in 2011 when the branches were 1 year shoots.

All the trees posted are beautiful, but I think they could be improved with a bit more dynamic first branch (although Van der Vaart's does have a bit it seems). You said you like the straight branch on the tree Dan posted... but do you prefer it?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
All the trees posted are beautiful, but I think they could be improved with a bit more dynamic first branch (although Van der Vaart's does have a bit it seems). You said you like the straight branch on the tree Dan posted... but do you prefer it?

Very good question. I think, as stated, putting bends in that branch would shorten it up. This would make the first anchoring branch shorter than the rest and detract from the design. Also, as mentioned, it might be difficult to bend such a short branch. Although I do like more the overall image rather than just this straight branch. If the branch was longer and could support a little movement. I would like to see some movement in that branch.

Rob

Top Bottom