pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
New to bonsai and nervous about removing large branches. The first picture shows the slight S bend I'd like to use as the front but there's a branch (1) near the top that may detract from the trunk line.
My bigger problem is the lower branches. I can't decide which ones to keep!
Second picture shows a slightly different angle with another large lower branch (4) hidden from view in the first photo. PicsArt_07-09-05.00.04.jpgPicsArt_07-09-04.30.10.jpg
Open to any suggestions.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the trunk view in the first image. I think making branch 1 a short Jin won't detract from the trunk line and with a Shari added might even help accentu.accentuate the movement. I would also keep 2 and Jin 3. The challenge for me is a left side branch. The one above branch 1 looks a bit thick.

pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the trunk view in the first image. I think making branch 1 a short Jin won't detract from the trunk line and with a Shari added might even help accentu.accentuate the movement. I would also keep 2 and Jin 3. The challenge for me is a left side branch. The one above branch 1 looks a bit thick.
That's a great idea making branch 1 into deadwood. It would be my first attempt. Definitely had to Google Jin and Shari. I agree the upper branch above 1 is a bit thick for being so high up. I didn't even consider removing it, but now I think I will.
Would you remove 4 as well? Or keep it tucked behind the main view?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I think that thick branch above 1 can become the new Apex.

Sorce

pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to Crazy!

I think that thick branch above 1 can become the new Apex.

Sorce
The one on the left? I was thinking the thicker one on the right of 1 would be the apex

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one on the left? I was thinking the thicker one on the right of 1 would be the apex

I reckon it can be.

But removing, (don't be nervous) the largest piece of the top is the best way to keep it more tapered in the long run, and spark more growth below which may be useful in you future design.

Sorce

pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I reckon it can be.

But removing, (don't be nervous) the largest piece of the top is the best way to keep it more tapered in the long run, and spark more growth below which may be useful in you future design.

Sorce

I reckon it can be.

Sorce
I see. So cutting the largest park at the top would force more growth on the bottom. Sounds good! Any advice on removing a large piece like that without too much scarring?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can see what @sorc is saying. Honestly at that point branch 1 could be the apex too. To my eye the tree still needs more branch options but I have seen those more experienced than me make a juniper with just a few branches.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wire them all and then move them around into positions that work with each other and the trunk. Some will be obviously better than others and the choice will be easier to make.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you could cut it all the way down to the first 2 branches and use that as a future tree too.

It's hard to make a nursery juniper look like something other than a nursery juniper you tried to make a bonsai out of, so scale, not size, has to become smaller in my world, which means finding a "trunk line" (future, far future) that has branches that are easily bendable, green to the branch you chose as your trunk, and fully capable to make a "tree" from, without the work of heavy bends, grafting, etc. Something that you can get to fork and branch with just pruning, not hoping.

This could also be ONLY everything above all those low branches, from the thicker one above the right apex.

The roots look like you could use that back branch as a cascade too.

Lotta options, but you gotta throw on them future vision goggles and grab a drink, a drink enough for the long haul, one that will make you stop seeing what you thought you saw, and get the saw out.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think you could cut it all the way down to the first 2 branches and use that as a future tree too.

It's hard to make a nursery juniper look like something other than a nursery juniper you tried to make a bonsai out of, so scale, not size, has to become smaller in my world, which means finding a "trunk line" (future, far future) that has branches that are easily bendable, green to the branch you chose as your trunk, and fully capable to make a "tree" from, without the work of heavy bends, grafting, etc. Something that you can get to fork and branch with just pruning, not hoping.

This could also be ONLY everything above all those low branches, from the thicker one above the right apex.

The roots look like you could use that back branch as a cascade too.

Lotta options, but you gotta throw on them future vision goggles and grab a drink, a drink enough for the long haul, one that will make you stop seeing what you thought you saw, and get the saw out.

Sorce
Boo Hiss. You know how I hate to be contrary and critical, but this is an egregious violation of The Rules of Advice. The existing trunk is the best feature of the tree and is pretty darn good. Cutting off the good trunk in favor of then growing out (for eternity) the first two branches is nearly criminal. The only branch that for sure doesn't belong on the tree is the branch marked #2 in photo #1. It conflicts greatly with #3 which just happens to be in the right place. While it is unfortunate that #3 & 4 are close to being bar branches, this is an example of an exception that you probably must accept and accentuate as best you can. Rotating the tree to get a better view of #3 & 4, thence arranging the rest of the tree to accentuate that as the front is probably the best chance to make this an acceptable tree. Removing one or the other of #3 or 4 leaves too much blank space and makes the lower trunk then too long and empty.

@sorce, this is not your first offense. I regret to inform you that a Grand Jury is being empaneled and the Persecutor will be calling witnesses.

Top Bottom