juniperus squamatta

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there
frist things first
im Dennis 27 years old i live in the netherlands into bonsai since april 2016 and i have still much to Learn
i have been watching the forums for a While now and tought lets post one of my trees i have

the tree was in bad shape when in got it so repotted it this spring and is looking allot healthier now only potted in the wrong angle leaning backwards

it basicly had 3 branches wich all came together at the same place of the trunk
so I removed the one with the least foliage and created a Jin out of it also made the existing shari bigger and accedently cut off one of the two live veins of the branch above but so far so good nothing died off yet been two months ago now

tree needs to get at full health before im gonna do more work on it

I still have no clue about wich way to style the tree so help is appriciated

the foliage is quite far from the trunk I dont know if a squamata juniper is gonna backbud anyone here knows if it does?

if better pictures are needed Just ask
my apollegies for the long story and my spelling

picture 1 : when I got it
picture 2: some time after repotted
picture 3: the three way of the branches
picture 4: after jinning the branche
picture 5: after some work on the deadwood

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016_03_30_21_56_08.png
    Screenshot_2016_03_30_21_56_08.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot_2016-05-16-13-18-49.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-16-13-18-49.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Screenshot_2016-03-31-16-41-18.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-31-16-41-18.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot_2016-07-21-20-14-31.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-21-20-14-31.png
    751.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-02-47.png
    Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-02-47.png
    714 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks pretty interesting.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to the forum. It doesn't look to be a bad start and the work you've done seems to be moving the tree toward a better image. With Junipers it's a waiting game. Do a little work, wait. Do more work, wait. You get the process. I think once you can get the tree at the correct angle you'll have a better idea on where to go with it on your next prune. Just looking at it in photo 4 I'd say the tree needs to be brought forward and angled more to the right. The large branch on the right needs to go (Jin maybe) and then I would work on developing the left side. Like with any tree, there are other options and I'm sure others will chime in with some different ideas. The main thing is you have to take it one step at a time and not rush it. Good luck!

Vin

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thnx for the welcome

thnx for the input vin
glad you think my work improved the tree
Next year I am gonna Let it grow without touching it to gain good health and then maybe the fall after That i will put some wire in but health comes first I need to be patient

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It doesn't look to be in poor health. It would help if you fill in your profile and we can see where you live. You really didn't do all that much to it so I think you should be able to do more work in the spring.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
profile updated i live in the netherlands zone 8b :)
looking forward to next spring then !

also does anyone knows if the squamata is able to backbud?

Reactions: Vin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
thnx for the welcome

thnx for the input vin
glad you think my work improved the tree
Next year I am gonna Let it grow without touching it to gain good health and then maybe the fall after That i will put some wire in but health comes first I need to be patient
I agree. This one looks a bit weak to me though healthier after the re-pot. Give it full sun, fertilize heavily and leave it alone until it has sent out a lot of new growth before any more work. Good luck with it.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's a decent juniper, I agree with the advice. Get it strong, work it in 2018. Keep on the lookout for spider mites.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They are tricky tree. I have two of them that do not like to be touched. I will await to see what and how you do.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Dav4
thnx for comfirming my concern about the health
after repotting it it showed a explosion of New growth
so i cant wait to see how much it Will grow with being fertilized
This year i was Carefull because of the repot

@augustine thnx for the advice on the spider mites

@Vance Wood
ill keep This thread updated to Let You know :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to Let You know
past few weeks it has been realy sunny and warm wich is rare in this time of year in The netherlands and this tree seemed to like it verry much lots of New green :D

Reaction score
You asked some questions in an other tread, so here you go.
I do think it is a juniperus squamata. Possibly it is a meyeri. Other option is a blue star. Difficult on photo but i guess it is a meyeri.
It are fussy trees to work with. First get it healthy, in a good draining mix they need a lot of water and fertilizer. Mine is in semi shade in summer, they tolerate heath but the color and the growing is better when protected a bit. In august, september, and october they have a good growing period, since it is more humid. When you can keep humidity up during summer june and july is good too.
They will only backbud in growth from 1 to 3 years old. Don't rely on backbudding until you have defined your structure. With other words build the basic structure with what you have.
Little branches will grow thicker over time BUT you have to work with the ones that are woody already. Create a frame first and if you do it right you can build on that. You have to remove all dull, limb, downward growing shoots AND al the brown needles on the good growth twice a year. It is hell but they reward you. Parts of your tree has good movement. Style all the branches for now and make the tree happy. Over the years remove branches that are not doing well and after that the ones that are out of place.

Reaction score
upload_2017-3-14_7-44-22.png
This is how a branche looked after first styling. Style the primary branch, leave the good secondary alone. During the growing period remove the brown needles. Growing tips will grow up and fill the pads overtime. Cut them back to the viable buds on the same level.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thnx allot for the answers dirk very helpfull !

Ill go baby it for this year and fertilize heavy and mist it as much as posible
its in a well draining soil repotted last year

Then after the growing season i will get some wire in and figure out how to style the tree!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Vance Wood to let you know it survived my work so far and turned from its winter color blue/purple back to fresh green past week it looks like it is starting to get ready for the growing season :)

I guess dirk discribed nicely how to manage them so ill follow his instructions for this season :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood to let you know it survived my work so far and turned from its winter color blue/purple back to fresh green past week it looks like it is starting to get ready for the growing season :)

I guess dirk discribed nicely how to manage them so ill follow his instructions for this season :)
What ever floats the boat. You should always consult first with the accepted theory and understand how that theory applies to what you have. Then you talk with people who have grown the tree and weigh the differences and make a decision.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The problem you encounter is that the majority of information you are likely to encounter is written around Juniperus Chinensis and a number of related cultivars which include Shimpaku and about 75 cultivars. Not all can be treated the with the expectation of similar results. Juniperus Squmatta is not a Chinese Juniper. This species in native to Afganistan, the Himalayas, and Western China according to Dirr. The Blue Star Juniper and Meyeri are cultivars of Squamata as are a lot of small trees and shrubs that do not seem to lose their juvenilia foliage and are common in the ornamental nursery trade. They do not like heat and seem to grow best in the more Northern locations according to Dirr.

You can drive yourself moderately insane researching Junipers. Just be assured that most of them can be grown as bonsai if you have the patience and willingness to do a bit of research.

Last edited:

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know there are differences between the cultivars but why i asked dirk for advice is because he has a tree of the same species and he seems to know how to handle them his climate is almosth the same as mine since he lives in belgium and i live in the netherlands

Now its up to me to try out and put it from theory to practicum and see for myself if it works out for me

I think i do understand his advice and will continue to research tough
as sometimes said bonsai is a book without a end !

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am not faulting you for that. I am simply listing some facts. Too often people think because they have this tree that they know how to deal with that tree. Even within the same species not all of the representative cultivars can be treated the same way as the species in that class.

Top Bottom