Juniperus Unknownus

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I purchased this juniper while visiting Bills nursery when I went up to the National Show. It apparently belonged to a student of his who had to sell off his collection. Assuming it went through a period of neglect recently because it's covered in juvenile foliage. Unfortunately, it was not labeled other than "juniper" and I did not ask what exact species it was (terrible mistake). Anyone have some ideas, and maybe suggestions on how to handle these overgrown juvenile foliage pads? I realize mature growth comes with time but I can't help but feel like I should at least continue to reduce the overgrowth to at least some degree.

Attachments

• 20211028_190856.jpg
    20211028_190856.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 20211028_180813.jpg
    20211028_180813.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20211028_181127.jpg
    20211028_181127.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 109

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The foliage somewhat and especially the bark has Eastern Red Cedar characteristics. Could be hybrid or something else though. The elongate scale foliage almost has more of a parsons or Hollywood look, would say this thought does not coincide with the bark though. I have not worked with Hollywood enough to know how readily it will revert to needle foliage.

This may be one that you possibly should expect to always be needles if worked and plan accordingly. Interesting tree, definitely see the appeal regardless.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
What ever is I like it.
I have had Itoigawa juniper and other shimpaku look the same way when stressed.

just my opinion

thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think its a Juniperus chinensis cultivar, there are a lot of Chinensis cultivars with mixed juvenile and scale growth or even only juvenile like Stricta it doesnt necesary mean that the tree its stressed. The needles dont look like Virginiana to me. If it was my tree I would work it as a needle juniper it would be a pain trying to get only scales

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like this bonsai. It has a wild and untamed nature, looking very much like an actual old tree.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think parsonii was the best guess so far by @TN_Jim , ERC is a possibility but I definitely don't think it's hollywood. The foliage looks more like a chinensis then virginiana based solely on density but it's possible it has been in a pot for a long time. Cool tree though

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Could be juniperus squamata, or even straight up procumbens. Definitely isn’t Itoigawa or torulosa, and doesn’t look like the dreaded ERC.
Foliage works well with the trunk. You could make this into a convincing giant redwood-looking tree.

Top Bottom