Juniperus Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This was the first ERC I collected. I dug it out of some rocky soil next to a local lake. I put it in a water bottle with some of the original soil and brought it home. This tree has had some minor problems with the usual ERC rust... I am attempting to solve this through a method I have not seen before which I will detail later on if it works. So far, I have not had any further issues, even with the rain and weather we have had. If it makes it to summer, past the point of when the rust creates spores, I'll be sure to explain my method.

2019.05.05.jpg

After a summer of growth I repotted it in August after reading Junipers can handle this no problem:
2019.08.08 A - Before Repot.jpg

2019.08.08 C - Roots Combed Out.jpg

This was the tree after repot.
2019.08.08 E - Repotted.jpg

In October:
2019.10.19.jpg

I repotted it again this spring... incredible root growth. Was absolutely astonished at how much the roots grew in less than a single year after a repot in middle of summer. I will likely continue repotting this tree at this point in the future to see how it responds.
2020.03.14 - A.jpg2020.03.14 - C.jpg

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I mess around with fungicides quite a bit.

Are you using a non-fungicidal (organics included) for rust control?

Reaction score
This was the first ERC I collected. I dug it out of some rocky soil next to a local lake. I put it in a water bottle with some of the original soil and brought it home. This tree has had some minor problems with the usual ERC rust... I am attempting to solve this through a method I have not seen before which I will detail later on if it works. So far, I have not had any further issues, even with the rain and weather we have had. If it makes it to summer, past the point of when the rust creates spores, I'll be sure to explain my method.

View attachment 301850

After a summer of growth I repotted it in August after reading Junipers can handle this no problem:
View attachment 301851

View attachment 301852

This was the tree after repot.
View attachment 301853

In October:
View attachment 301854

I repotted it again this spring... incredible root growth. Was absolutely astonished at how much the roots grew in less than a single year after a repot in middle of summer. I will likely continue repotting this tree at this point in the future to see how it responds.
View attachment 301855View attachment 301856
I just started some ERC seedlings. What is this rust I keep on reading about and what should I do to help?

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Read this and then do a search on it here on Bonsai Nut. A lot to read.

Reaction score
Read this and then do a search on it here on Bonsai Nut. A lot to read.
Looks terrifying

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just started some ERC seedlings. What is this rust I keep on reading about and what should I do to help?

It's a fungal disease which affects native junipers mostly. ERC is particularly succeptable to the spores. The disease requires a host plant such as a tree in the Malus or Rosacea family (apples or roses) nearby to spread. It is most common early in the year during cool and wet spring mornings. Once the tree has it, it is very difficult to remove and many people simply toss their trees instead of spreading it.

I have been lucky so far. This tree has had the rust in one spot, however through diligent treatment, it has not spread to my other trees. I believe I have found a decent control mechanism however I won't know until next spring to see if my treatment worked. It would be feasible for small outbreaks but not as a large scale treatment of many trees.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year update. Added some wire to this to give the bottom branches a downward direction. Havent pruned this or done anything except fertilize this year. Next year Ill give it some styling attention.

20201021_213547.jpg
20201021_220052.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted... has a great root ball start.

20210321_152719.jpg
20210321_153415.jpg

Planted into a grow box to help it thicken up. Hopefully It'll get a few years in this before being repotted again.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ERC is the most widely planted species in my state, so I would love to find one too. Thanks for sharing. I will keep watching this tree.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have not seen color on this tree like this. Quite spectacular bronzing. A lot of the top of the tree is switching over to mature foliage. Not sure if male or female yet. Stylistically, looking to keep this in much it's current form. It will likely have a really good year next year since I will not be repotting it. Plenty of room for the roots in this box still.

20211231_121641.jpg
20211231_121650.jpg
20211231_121712.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lolol. Yeah. It's really wild the bronzing on it. I think it's from lack of nutrients and fertilizer? I didn't fertilize this tree this year at all so maybe that has something to do with it.

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Missouri, a lot of red cedars get that rust color to them in fall/winter then green up again in spring. Not all do, and I don't know why many do. Have wondered if it's worse after a dry summer, but not sure.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pruned and Wired today after bringing the tree in for a look over. Went hard on it since idgaf if it lives. Will leave to grow and see what happens. Maybe the improved air flow will assist with the cedar apple rust it usually gets.

IMG_20230126_224257.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unwired, did a little pruning, tree looks good. Also some close ups of the rust spots which seem cleared now after using the 3-in-1.

20230517_223544.jpg
20230517_223551.jpg
20230517_223630.jpg
20230517_223641.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One might consider using copper fungicide vs 3 in 1 as it is very effective for CAR.

We use it regularly with really good results. Haven’t had an issue for two years.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s our routine. Normally use 3x during winter esp.after rainy spells and every 2 months. Cover media or avoid spraying media.

Also spray as soon as horns appear… it can stop the gel from forming.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom