Juniperus virginniana "grey owl"

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday i picked up this juniperus virginiana grey owl at a bonsai nursery with the great deal it costed only 85€ imo thats cheap for a juniper of this size and the compact growth it has trunk at the base is around 7cm in diametre

I see allot of options in there and a nice amount of natural deadwood will be uncovered i think!

One of the options is by changing the plantinf angle to go semi cascade but also a moyogi is in there.... i will take it to my classes to make sure i will get the best out of it!

First steps will be repotting because its root bound and thining out the foliage mass

Pics

20180311_110039.jpg20180311_110048.jpg20180311_110118.jpg20180311_110121.jpg20180311_110137.jpg20180311_110148.jpg

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree. Looks like it has a little bit of inverse taper near the bottom but you might be able to disguise that in the lean.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I look forward to seeing it when you open it up. I dig the colour of the foliage, beauty!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree. Looks like it has a little bit of inverse taper near the bottom but you might be able to disguise that in the lean.

Yes it does apear to be so but that part os already partialy rotten away and trough some deadwood work it will be worked away !
Good eye tough!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's funny to think that species grows like a weed in my backyard and isn't typically used in bonsai. But that "grey owl" cultivar looks great, foliage is more compact. Good find.
I don't know anything about your cultivar but here in the states the wild ones throw juvenile foliage at the drop of a hat. Hopefully you don't find that to be the case, as the needles are painfully sharp.
I have always found the root systems and trees in general to be extremely tolerant of heavy work. But Nick lenz (an actual bonsai artist) suggests babying the roots. He probably works with much older trees than I had. I'm excited to see the progress. I stopped messing with junipers but these were my favorite. Always like natives personally

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It's funny to think that species grows like a weed in my backyard and isn't typically used in bonsai. But that "grey owl" cultivar looks great, foliage is more compact. Good find.
I don't know anything about your cultivar but here in the states the wild ones throw juvenile foliage at the drop of a hat. Hopefully you don't find that to be the case, as the needles are painfully sharp.
I have always found the root systems and trees in general to be extremely tolerant of heavy work. But Nick lenz (an actual bonsai artist) suggests babying the roots. He probably works with much older trees than I had. I'm excited to see the progress. I stopped messing with junipers but these were my favorite. Always like natives personally
The juniperus virginiana that grow native in the eastern United States and probably in your back yard have a reputation for being very difficult to collect or transplant, and of course have sparse and coarse foliage. The Communis species from out west are also reputedly touchy. So all junipers are not created equal in their ability to become bonsai.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Velodog2 understood. I think juniper (the right species) make some of the best bonsai on earth. But I'm more of a pine guy, never got the chance to refine on

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FYI.....

I don't know where the confusion came from beyond my own which began with @YukiShiro "grey owl" in South Africa.

Said to be the same as My J.Crack. Juniperus Vagina.

Please understand that while somewhere....
Somehow....
Both of these trees got labeled Juniperus Virginia somehow....

They are 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT TREES.

Google image of "grey owl"
Capture+_2018-03-12-04-48-52.png

Of "eastern red cedar"
Circled being common old growth here.
Capture+_2018-03-12-04-51-03.png

And Juniperus Virginia.Capture+_2018-03-12-04-51-53.png

So it seems that ...just as is the case with San Jose/Procumbins Nana....

The Nursery $ Trade has tagged something which scientists would argue.

These ARE NOT THE SAME J. Virginia.

Sorce

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice find!
Looking forward to updates on this one :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's a nice one Def. Take it from someone who has both, Juniperus virginiana 'Eastern Red Cedar' and 'Grey Owl' - they are both similar and different.

Since you have one what do you think about the foliage it is a tad coarse isnt it?

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom