just a crazy idea

john schacherer

Seedling
Reaction score
the bnut project, read walters palls post and followed his maple as it developed thru the years. could a project be organized where all members post a begining tree. all members could offer ideas on what they would do to train the tree to become a respectable bonsai. keep the begining photo and we can all watch each others trees develop. with the in put of the experienced and creative minds of members i think some pretty nice bonsai could be trained. any problem that pops up post you tree and im pretty sure you will get some fresh ideas. once a year we could post the begining photo and a photo of what the tree looks like now. this project would go on forever (unless nobody wants to do it) could be a great training tool from culture to methods of styling. it would be interesting to watch all types of bnut trees develop from all over the world. this would not be just for beginners hopfully the experienced bonsai people will join in too. john

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is a great idea John. I am hoping that people already do this.

For example see this thread. The elm (which is now in two pieces) is almost ready to be transplanted and trimmed. I am waiting for the buds to start swelling. I have purchased a pot I think will work well, etc. I have always been open for comments, and will continue to be. As soon as I transplant it, I will post more pictures.

I hope to see EVERYONE that have posted trees to bonsainut to update the threads with new pictures come springtime :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a great idea John. I am hoping that people already do this.

For example see this thread. The elm (which is now in two pieces) is almost ready to be transplanted and trimmed. I am waiting for the buds to start swelling. I have purchased a pot I think will work well, etc. I have always been open for comments, and will continue to be. As soon as I transplant it, I will post more pictures.

I hope to see EVERYONE that have posted trees to bonsainut to update the threads with new pictures come springtime :)

Oh god I can hardly wait for spring...six more weeks, six more weeks....:(

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Seriously though, I got some pots in the mail today and next week, after some potting, I'll update the couple of trees I posted a year ago.

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
when exactly does spring start? i'm in zone 9 ... how does one tell? is there a chart or somewhere where i can find out? thanks oh and i'm going off on a tangent kinda, but i found a stick that had come off of a tree we've had inside forever and i put it into a water bottle, put some water in there, closed it up and put it by a window, and guess what? roots!!! after learning a little and ... uh scratching the large tree, i know it is some type of ficus, dunno what kind, i'll figure that stuff out later. i was just kinda excited so ya :)

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Six days ago, six days ago.
:p

Six days ago? Hell Jay - I never saw fall. Still have leaves on trident maples. Gingko trees were yellow a few days ago and are nearly bald. I also have last seasons leaves on my peach tree. My tulip poplar is just now dropping leaves in my yard as is my bald cypress. Looks to be 80 degrees F for the next 5 days or so. Bummer. No fireplace action again and certainly no coat weather this season.

Spring technically starts on the vernal equinox and runs to the June solstice.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Around here we think of spring as starting Mother's day, May 11, for the purposes of being over the last frost. That's a long way off. Naturally I won't be waiting that long to start working on my trees but that's about the earliest we dare plant tomatoes and other vegetables.

Top Bottom