Just a few projects I'm looking forward to this spring...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Repotting the gifted junipers into bonsai substrate.

*Possibly repotting the Shimpaku if I can find an appropriate pot.

Removing the sacrafice branches on the Virginia Creeper and cutting back.

Rewiring my Kojo No Mai cascade. (Looking forward to having the wire work for me this year!)

Cutting back my Amur maple...and watching it develop.

Making a moss ball for my frog accent pot so it looks like he has a large croaker from his neck area.

Repotting and offering more direction to my bougainvillea cascade. (Cutting way back HARD.)

Slowly reducing a cross root on my satsuki azalea.

:cool: I may not have many bonsai...but, I have enough small projects to have me looking forward to spring.
Very small check list. But one I'm looking forward to do...without feeling overwhelmed. So...all is good in my bubble of the world.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Always good to have a plan. Now is when I start putting some order and timeframes into all the things I have been mulling over all winter.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I may not have many bonsai...but, I have enough small projects to have me looking forward to spring

I don't have any and I am still looking forward to Spring!

Have more on order though, mostly 2 - 3 foot, wide variety to test the grow space this year. By the time all is said and done probably be looking at 30 - 40 new plants to mess with.

Plans - make sure that damn pseudomonas syringae is GONE!

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have any and I am still looking forward to Spring!

Have more on order though, mostly 2 - 3 foot, wide variety to test the grow space this year. By the time all is said and done probably be looking at 30 - 40 new plants to mess with.

Plans - make sure that damn pseudomonas syringae is GONE!

Grimmy

That totally sucked your losing so many trees. I really hope and pray that you got it taken care of...and have success this year and the rest that follows. Plants on order...is something to look forward to. Big ones as well! How exciting! ( I also know you have a few your tinkering with...and wish you luck with those...even if no real plans are in order for them at this time.)

Always good to have a plan. Now is when I start putting some order and timeframes into all the things I have been mulling over all winter.
Nothing like getting ones ducks in a row!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That totally sucked your losing so many trees.

It was a bitter experience but after all is said and done it is better that it happened when it did. For example I was making arrangements for specimens over 1000USD each at the time. Had I lost those as well I would have freaked and probably "though" the infestation was from new stock. This way I learned what the property needed - rude lesson but could have been worse. And now I have a lot of pots! :p

Grimmy

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's good to have just a few projects, I'm currently a bit overwhelmed with this insanely early spring we're having here. I repotted around 70 elms the last few days.

Aaron

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's good to have just a few projects, I'm currently a bit overwhelmed with this insanely early spring we're having here. I repotted around 70 elms the last few days.

Aaron
You guys amaze me...that would so overwhelm me. I don't care to reach beyond my comfort zone...with also tending my own landscape. Even then trying to have them on a different potting year schedule. Would love to see some pictures of your hard work of a few before and after repots. If you find time to do so.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are now well into the Dry Season, I was up at the Northern side of the island, and ----- no mosquitoes !
Even though there is slowly moving stream down in the ravine.
[ now how did that woman in South Trinidad claim to have gone no where and got Zika ?????????????]

Mind you, we are not exactly a mosquito paradise, many predators and dry weather usually do them in by
Christmas.

So I am walking through this jungle and thinking about Darlene, and her winding roads.
The road winds to get here, takes about 2 hrs to reach the North of the island from Sando [ San Fernando ]
due to the converted donkey tracks, that became the proper roads. Not too many potholes mind you, oil
money can pay for a lot.

The winds are quite cool and the nights are going back to about 70 / 72 deg.F, but with humidity at 65 % and
dropping lower.
Soon the winds will be hotter and drier, but still comfortable.

Repotting has stopped, for now, around April, the tamarinds and sea trees will be repotted, they don't handle
69 to 66 deg.F very well, can die, as their comfort zone is 75 to 80 deg.F
By the way we shut down at 90 to 93 deg.F for the months up to June, then dive back down to high 80's.
Trinidad is a cloudy, windy island, any boy with a magnifying glass will confirm this.
That 90 high is usually for half an hour or less.
We are pretty spoiled.

Ever realise that the Amazon Jungle is around 85 deg.F or less.:eek:

No heatwaves for us - :)

So now I return you to your brrrrrhhhhh environment.
Have a snowman on me.
Good Day
Anthony [ tropically spoilt:p ]

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got close to 100 trees to dig to start with. More if I find them.
Need to repot I don't know how many trees. Let's say a bunch.
Need to construct more benches to hold the new ones.
I have a couple trees I might show. So those are going to need some work.

I don't have a very long spring so it's rush,rush for the 3 week window I get.
Unlike Anthony. Who just keeps on rubbing in how great his weather is.
Damn him!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've got close to 100 trees to dig to start with. More if I find them.
Need to repot I don't know how many trees. Let's say a bunch.
Need to construct more benches to hold the new ones.
I have a couple trees I might show. So those are going to need some work.

I don't have a very long spring so it's rush,rush for the 3 week window I get.
Unlike Anthony. Who just keeps on rubbing in how great his weather is.
Damn him!

Wow...that's a lot on your plate! What species of trees do you plan on collecting? I'm assuming many varieties. More power to you. You folk with hundreds of trees...I commend your dedication and time with them. But I know it's not for me. I would become so overwhelmed.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm looking forward to not digging anything this spring. Last year I had to dig 80 or so from the growing beds to move, and ended up with 135 potted trees. Down to 52 now, and really need to cut it in half again. The upside is I only need to repot a dozen this spring.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm coming up with more and more ideas almost daily but nothing like 100s of things, hopefully I will still be within my means.
I just found a F.Benjamina in yard to add to the list of things to do as well.

I'll be doing my first repots and a couple of hack backs, digging some Bougies, Hibscus and a random unidentified tree at the very least.
If' I'm lucky I can get a layer or two off of my Callistemon but will at least take some cuttings, lots of seedlings too after I left my last lot out one cold night.

Mostly though we will be renovating house and land so I'm just waiting for the warmer weather for a bit more energy.

Top Bottom