Just a hornbeam stump

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dug this a month ago. Just wanted to share a good looking stump.

Took a look yesterday and it's popping buds all over the trunk. I put it into some good soil in a semi-shady spot in my grow bed. Love these beams.

Attachments

• Dig.jpg
    Dig.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG0652.jpg
    IMAG0652.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_7444.JPG
    IMG_7444.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7445.JPG
    IMG_7445.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 125

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Few more. This broke buds almost to the top.

Attachments

• IMG_7447.JPG
    IMG_7447.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7448.JPG
    IMG_7448.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7453.JPG
    IMG_7453.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7454.JPG
    IMG_7454.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 129

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice stump. How did your big dig chinese quince from last year do?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice stump. How did your big dig chinese quince from last year do?

Can we... Can we just not talk about last year? If I were a less stubborn person, I'd have given up after the losses I suffered. I think due to having to collect it out of season and not giving enough protection doomed that venture. He was going to destroy it if I didn't dig it right away. It had already issued it's spring leaves and the rootball was not as tight as it needed to be to sustain the tree and issue additional leaves after already spending its energy. It was a great loss, as was the pine that came with it. I'm a fantastic cook, my front lawn looks like a golf course, and my kids are well-behaved. Those are my strengths. Keeping trees alive is not.

In time with perseverance I hope!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, don't feel like the lone ranger, I lost my big stump Quince too.... It happens. Glad that you are still after it! Please keep updates going for this one.

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I also lost a lot of trees last year. The best and most expensive ones. All from my own ignorance and mistakes. I was going to give up for at least a couple weeks. I actually calculated the monetary loss and it would allow me to buy almost any tree I've ever wanted that was "outside my budget".

But we live and learn :) This year has been almost nothing but success (and it sounds like you're having a lot, too). I feel like my collection this year is better than it was before my losses last year and now I have the skills and savvy to keep them alive so maybe it was for the best!

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug this a month ago. Just wanted to share a good looking stump.

Took a look yesterday and it's popping buds all over the trunk. I put it into some good soil in a semi-shady spot in my grow bed. Love these beams.

Nice tree, @berobinson82 ! This is the kind of material that I like to collect, too. You should have great enjoyment developing it into a great looking bonsai. Keep it healthy and give us updates when you can!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NICE one! That is going to work into a great tree.

As for losses, a couple of my big boxwoods kicked it. Wasn't the subzero temps, but bad drainage in storage that killed them. Remarkably, I DIDN'T lose an imported Japanese azalea that I overwintered under mulch. Thought is was going to be toast, along with my cedar elm and bald cypress with the record lows. All made it though.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Few more. This broke buds almost to the top.
Looks like you got hit by a borer (second photo in the second set). If so it's a sign of a stressed tree, despite the prolific budding. Keep it well fed and watered and hopefully you can get the tree stronger over the next few years.

Zach

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know what I do wrong......or perhaps it is the type of hornbeam I find. Mine never seem to bud like you show. Mine just send up shoots from the buried roots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one. I don't know how many you've collected but I have a question and maybe Zach can toss out an amswer too.
Do you ever get buds out of the cut like on elms and hawthorn. Or do they just pop out of the side? The reason I'm asking is I collected a Hops Hornbeam and 2 American Hornbeams last spring. None sprouted out of the cut. Is this normal so I can take into account that the next ones I dig up need to be cut taller at time of collection?
Sorry for the hijacking.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
NICE one! That is going to work into a great tree.

As for losses, a couple of my big boxwoods kicked it. Wasn't the subzero temps, but bad drainage in storage that killed them. Remarkably, I DIDN'T lose an imported Japanese azalea that I overwintered under mulch. Thought is was going to be toast, along with my cedar elm and bald cypress with the record lows. All made it though.

HE LIVES!

Man it's great to see your name pop up on a thread again. Glad to see you didn't kick the bucket over the long, cold winter also!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like you got hit by a borer (second photo in the second set). If so it's a sign of a stressed tree, despite the prolific budding. Keep it well fed and watered and hopefully you can get the tree stronger over the next few years.

Zach

Thank you, Zach. If anyone has a handle on the species, it's you. I still have a file with your notes about caroliniana in my dropbox. I'm feeding it well now. Is there anything I can do to target borers specifically? Most likely this section will be carved in the future but I'd rather avoid any more accidental wood loss.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know what I do wrong......or perhaps it is the type of hornbeam I find. Mine never seem to bud like you show. Mine just send up shoots from the buried roots.

I wish I had the answer to this. I will tell you that I've a couple new ones in pots that are trying to grow shoot from the base. I rub them off as early as I can. Besides that, I've noticed that collecting these beams before buds start swelling gives me a higher success rate. *shrug*

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I've had the same luck.. except for younger trees. About an Inch in Diameter. But with bigger collected stumps like the one he posted have ALL only produced buds from the base and only the base until just eventually dying. I think it may be some sort of reaction to shock, if that makes sense. Maybe if they are too stressed during collection, they only throw shoots from the bottom with what energy they have left before dying. But I do have two collected hornbeams that are doing great! The biggest one is only about as thick as a sharpie marker at the base though. Maybe someone on this thread can shed a little light on collecting them.. proper time And aftercare techniques etc...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried covering the top of the cut with moss and tying a bag around it? Making a hot house up there will keep the top alive and push buds that might otherwise dry up. They will pop under the plastic from under the moss.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you tried covering the top of the cut with moss and tying a bag around it? Making a hot house up there will keep the top alive and push buds that might otherwise dry up. They will pop under the plastic from under the moss.
This is an interesting approach. I will give this a try on my next stump. Just the top area is covered....not the entire stump. Right?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, Zach. If anyone has a handle on the species, it's you. I still have a file with your notes about caroliniana in my dropbox. I'm feeding it well now. Is there anything I can do to target borers specifically? Most likely this section will be carved in the future but I'd rather avoid any more accidental wood loss.
Once you see the bullet hole the borer has left the tree. As for prevention, spraying the trees with an insecticide that kills beetles is supposed to work. You'd do this in the first year you have the tree, since it's the larvae that burrow in and this usually happens in year one of transplanting. So you kill the eggs or the egg-layers. Your tree above seems to have already been hit before you got it, so I'd say chop below the hole though you can wait a year to do this. Just seal that chop!

I've been nursing a hornbeam that got hit about three years ago. I disguised the bullet hole by carving the trunk to make it look more natural. The tree was obviously weak when I collected it, and I'm sure the borer attack further weakened it.

Good luck with yours.

Zach

Top Bottom