Just Add Ice?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay everyone, so my first Father's Day gift of the year just arrived. I dont know much, but I know its not right lol. It says to water with 5 ice cubes a week. :eek:

I wouldn't have purchased this, but hey, its the thought that counts. Love my sister and niece. :D

I believe its a tiger bark ficus, but the bulges at the bottom make me think of ginko.

Its pretty ugly lol, but what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20170610_190231.jpg
    20170610_190231.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 53
  • 20170610_190926.jpg
    20170610_190926.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 53

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ya know, on closer inspection, mine has the "tiger bark" on the tubers too....hmm.
Yours is darker in color, like most that I see called Tiger Bark.
Mine is lighter for some reason....

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Ya know, on closer inspection, mine has the "tiger bark" on the tubers too....hmm.
Yours is darker in color, like most that I see called Tiger Bark.
Mine is lighter for some reason....
That picture was taken with the flash on, here it is without the flash.

I have a tiger bark growing out now that will be wired and repotted into 100% NAPA DE after 4th of July so I'm comfortable with them.

After checking out your thread I believe there maybe hope. I will just cut the tubes off completely.

Did you use root hormone to get it to grow from the tubes like that???

Attachments

• 20170610_190218.jpg
    20170610_190218.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 45

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That picture was taken with the flash on, here it is without the flash.

I have a tiger bark growing out now that will be wired and repotted into 100% NAPA DE after 4th of July so I'm comfortable with them.

After checking out your thread I believe there maybe hope. I will just cut the tubes off completely.

Did you use root hormone to get it to grow from the tubes like that???
I honestly don't remember if I used it or not.... generally I am of the mind that says, "a little rooting hormone powder can't hurt."

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This isn't quite 'Tiger Bark', it's more of your standard Ginseng. Tiger Bark has very light grey bark with spots all over it.
You talking about mine or his, or both?
Do you have a picture of a true Tiger bark?
I always thought those little white lines where the tiger stripes.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Here are a few more pictures. Its not as nice looking as the first pic suggest. These are with flash.

Attachments

• 20170610_195541.jpg
    20170610_195541.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170610_195556.jpg
    20170610_195556.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 41

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah, and thats why I now have like 12 trees after my initial thought was just the one lol
I think we've all been there dude.
I was originally trying to focus on azaleas...with just one....
I planted it in shitty garden soil in a pot, and it promptly drowned to death....
That's when I got serious about my reading and research....then a few months later, I found Bonsai Nut....and it's been full steam ahead since then.
I now have something like 45 trees on my deck....
Wife's OK with it, but she doesn't like me spending lots of $$ on trees...plus I'm out of room now and I'm beginning to think that a few of my trees are a total waste of time. I won't throw them out unless they're crispy and brown, but still....
So from now on, I'm only gonna purchase worthy material.
And with the stuff that I have, maybe it will become worthy material someday.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL I'm not sure what's going on with that tree... but you're right, it's the thought that counts.

It's a ginseng ficus. Yeah, they grow those tuberous roots, but they are not normally so pronounced in nature. For the commercial trade they let the tree grow tall in a short container so the roots push out of the soil, then they wack the trunk at the soil line and keep one bud as a new leader. Your tree was designed to have that look.

242085_12fa27cc53bce9099a4d5e2be8026ea3.jpg

If you plant it out in a shallow wide container, perhaps you can get it to look more like this. Same tree species, different horticultural approach. Then when your sister and niece come to visit you can show it off!

12464696_f520.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"ginseng" ficus are actually ficus microcarpas and some have grafted foliage on them from other ficus like retusa. Like bonsainut said, they are just grown to have the roots push out. This can be reversed with time.

They can be trained to be really nice trees and the example above from bonsainut is very achievable!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's an example of a Tiger Bark. The bark is super light grey with white patches. This is a tree I had years ago, but no longer do.
004-96.jpg
005-93.jpg

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay so what do you think I should do with it? Where to cut it at? Do I just cut dab in rooting powder and plant? Aftercare?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so, when is father's day? i've never had a dad, but now i've got an in-law and i don't want to make a bad impression

Top Bottom