Just Another Chinese Elm. :-)

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I came across this Chinese elm yesterday at a bonsai nursery among probably 50 others also and I picked this one even though it does have some issues mainly that large space from the crown to the next branch on the right, that and the fact that it is so straight and no movement. This is the first initial styling and we'll see later where this leads me. The soil of course was practically all but gone and what is left is a hard block of root ball. Hopefully I can open it up a bit next Feb. at repotting time.

larrys elm1_pe.jpge2_pep.jpgee6_pep.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I came across this Chinese elm yesterday at a bonsai nursery among probably 50 others also and I picked this one even though it does have some issues mainly that large space from the crown to the next branch on the right, that and the fact that it is so straight and no movement. This is the first initial styling and we'll see later where this leads me. The soil of course was practically all but gone and what is left is a hard block of root ball. Hopefully I can open it up a bit next Feb. at repotting time.

View attachment 203169View attachment 203170View attachment 203171

I’ve never had one of these. She has a hand on her hip. Interesting find.

Can you bend them?

I’ve never air layered anything (due time), have you concitered this above that far left lower branch?

First glance..dunno what it’s worth

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you bend them?

Well since this trunk isn't very thick it will probably bend as that is what I might consider doing in the near future by bending it down and forward toward the viewer.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you bend them?
You won't be bending that trunk much if at all without breaking it. Elms are hard and bend need to be done when they are thin and flexible.
If it were mine,next spring I would put it into a colander and let it get screaming healthy. Then I would cut it back pretty hard.
Make it form buds on those straight sections of trunk.
Forget that. Who am I kidding? I would cut that long trunk on the left down to at least its bottom branch and rebuild it from there. It will take out most of the straight tubular areas,give it taper and some movement.

Top Bottom