Just back from Bonsai Mirai

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Just completed my second class with Ryan. I learned so much, again. This class was on summer work on junis...cleaning out branches with beginning thoughts of basic design concepts. Also, deadwood creation, and live vein work. Got to clean the vein of a 1k y/o rmj that was absolutely incredible.

These classes....or I bet, any class from one of our foremost professionals now in the US, has taken not only my fund of knowledge up several notches, but I feel SO much more confident to do the needed work. Can't wait till I return in Oct to begin styling trees!

Sorry, no pics ;)

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That sounds awesome! I look forward to being able to see artists like Ryan in the future. I am sure you take a lot away from workshops like that. Congrats!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Nice man, these Seasonals, Intensives or whatever you call them are a great idea for anyone interested in improving their skills. Post some pics!

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Just completed my second class with Ryan. I learned so much, again. This class was on summer work on junis...cleaning out branches with beginning thoughts of basic design concepts. Also, deadwood creation, and live vein work. Got to clean the vein of a 1k y/o rmj that was absolutely incredible.

These classes....or I bet, any class from one of our foremost professionals now in the US, has taken not only my fund of knowledge up several notches, but I feel SO much more confident to do the needed work. Can't wait till I return in Oct to begin styling trees!

Sorry, no pics ;)

Fore don't mean to sound greedy but could you do a post with perhaps a summary or some tidbits of information?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
LOL! no pics ddn't happen. So here's your Pic, so now suddenly it happened.

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 88

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Dick ;)

Johng and Yenling, I did have a few iphone pics, but apple had to give me a new phone yesterday, and I didn't have space in the cloud for photos, so I lost a ton of pics. I'm not happy. I'll do better next time guys.

larlamonde, man, so much information. We spend prob. the first 3hrs lecturing. Humm....this is the time to create dw on junis with the ease of bark stripping right now. Always start from a side at the base. Try to connect with other dw in a believable way. This is also the time for 'summer maintenance': nix crotches, growth downward, and all older and inefficient needles to prepare for wiring in the fall (second best time to do it after early spring...just before new growth begins.) Always better to style first and repot second.

A couple other points from this early repotting that I've mentioned before, but not many agreed....adding 1/16" screened sphag and dryed moss to soil surface in spring so covered in moss by summer. This does: holds soil in place, maintains more of an even vertical water column, and allows the top 1/3 of the soil to be filled with fine feeder roots. Without it, you loose 30% of avail. soil mass. And one more cool tip, use 14g elec fencing wire to secure in pots. No stretch and no rust.

Just a few thoughts I thought important
Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
17 gauge is too light. The heavier gauge would be better.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
17 gauge is too light. The heavier gauge would be better.
Reason I am using the 17 is I can't find 14 locally. :D

I am sure mine is much lighter than 14 ga but honestly cannot see the need (at least with my tree sizes) for much heavier gauge. I've tried lifting my biggest tree w/ the heaviest & biggest pot by the trunk after applying it and the soil did not even move. I think it is sufficient for my needs.

Top Bottom