just before dark

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
finishing another day. had my camera handy took some random pictures of trees scattered about. some worked on, some not. sorry for the poor quality of the photos. pictures taken in situ; no prep.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC07876.jpg
    DSC07876.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC07877.jpg
    DSC07877.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC07878.jpg
    DSC07878.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC07879.jpg
    DSC07879.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC07847.jpg
    DSC07847.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 116

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
others

a few more

Attachments

• DSC07858.jpg
    DSC07858.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC07850.jpg
    DSC07850.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC07866.jpg
    DSC07866.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC07865.jpg
    DSC07865.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC07873.jpg
    DSC07873.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 62

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sam...as always...you never fail to share amazing pieces. Bougainvillea hands down you know has my admiration. But these three really stood out as to no clue what the foliage variety this one was. And the cascade goodness love the movement. Though honestly each has something that just looks gnarly.

You have me wanting to scour the countryside in hopes to locating something so unique. Thanks for sharing Sam...once again...I enjoyed the photos you shared.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 33

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Sam...as always...you never fail to share amazing pieces. Bougainvillea hands down you know has my admiration. But these three really stood out as to no clue what the foliage variety this one was. And the cascade goodness love the movement. Though honestly each has something that just looks gnarly.

You have me wanting to scour the countryside in hopes to locating something so unique. Thanks for sharing Sam...once again...I enjoyed the photos you shared.

left to right. tamarind, chinese juniper, premna microphylla

best wishes, sam

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Sam! I did a google search to see the foliage of the Tamarind better. I first noticed one in Honduras...they told me it was squirrel tail tree. Lol they said it with such confidence...is that a nickname for them do you know? Though...I think I seen one now similar foliage in the woods not long ago. May just have similar foliage though.

The premna microphylla is really gnarly! I bet your mouth watered when you went to collect that one! :D

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
after dark juniper tanuki

after dark shot. procumbens nana juniper attached to vitex rotundifolia deadwood.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC00796.jpg
    DSC00796.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 63

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
long screws through the living trunk pinning it to the back of the deadwood.

best wishes, sam

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
nope. one shot deal.

best wishes, sam

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
progress premna microphylla after dark

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC00837.jpg
    DSC00837.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00845.jpg
    DSC00845.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00840.jpg
    DSC00840.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 33

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Two trees...that you put together in one pot Sam? That one with the reddish stain you either added or is the color of the actual tree is stunning! Can you explain what I am seeing in more detail as to what you've done?

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Two trees...that you put together in one pot Sam? That one with the reddish stain you either added or is the color of the actual tree is stunning! Can you explain what I am seeing in more detail as to what you've done?

thanks vin and darlene.

I apologize to both and all others who took time to view yesterday's premna post. the photos of the smaller tree were inexcusably poor. so much junk piled on the table around the tree. no wonder darlene was confused. I am trying again, this time with better pictures and a few comments.
the biggest tree is hollow, primarily deadwood. the deadwood is stained instead of bleached with lime sulfur, as a mopp. The tree has been tilted to the left to minimize the straight upper portion of the live vein. the tree will be planted this way at the next repot. branch angles will need to change. the top needs to be wider/thicker/layered, as a counterweight to the strong trunk.

the next tree is the smaller one posted last night- this time without all the distractions around it. the tree has an interesting trunk; primarily deadwood. the canopy needs to grow wider and downward to hide the overly long skinny upper trunk. deadwood will be the focal point of the tree.

the third premna is one of my favorites. the stained deadwood is all natural and highlights the thin live vein. I have the main structure done. needed now are secondary and tertiary branches to fill the negative spaces once I have the twigs, the focus will be on the foliage. regular pruning of microphylla leaves reduces leaf size from the size of an adult hand down to the size of the nail on your pinkie. imagine this tree with a layered top comprised of tight tiny leaf pads

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC00860.jpg
    DSC00860.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00863.jpg
    DSC00863.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The dead wood is amazing! I like how you stained the one a rich color. Also thank you for explaining the steps you plan on taking with each. It helps me grasp the steps needed to accomplish things. As well as see your vision of a more finished tree in what material you showed us.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
the third premna is one of my favorites. the stained deadwood is all natural and highlights the thin live vein. I have the main structure done. needed now are secondary and tertiary branches to fill the negative spaces once I have the twigs, the focus will be on the foliage. regular pruning of microphylla leaves reduces leaf size from the size of an adult hand down to the size of the nail on your pinkie. imagine this tree with a layered top comprised of tight tiny leaf pads

Once the canopy fills in and the tree is in an appropriate pot it's going to be a show stopper! About three quarters the way up the trunk it looks like there's a live vein coming off the trunk toward the left. There must be something keeping it alive yet I can't see any foliage.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Once the canopy fills in and the tree is in an appropriate pot it's going to be a show stopper! About three quarters the way up the trunk it looks like there's a live vein coming off the trunk toward the left. There must be something keeping it alive yet I can't see any foliage.

thanks, vin
actually that short line of bark is not alive. eventually the bark will fall off or I'll take it off and stain that part to match the rest.

best wishes, sam

808an

Seedling
Reaction score
Amazing trees Sam! Thank you for sharing your knowledge freely. Thank you to all as well for asking the questions that I do not know how to ask or have even thought of yet! This is a great site for me.

Top Bottom