Just bought a Japanese Black Pine

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It took me awhile to find it,i'm not one to get in a flap over an abbreviation.

Gotta nip it in the bud i guess.

Misrepresentation of Species would rankle and not for reasons of taxonomy.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There is another reason for looking again at an offered Pine with needles that are strangely curved or twisted or limp in some way.

Shall i reveal this reason?

I shall indeed.

Say you are noble Samurai warrior returned from hacking a few peasants in half for affronting your sensibilities with their wanton poverty,say you are that man.

Now you have returned to the tea house and kneeling in your gory armour you are anticipating a refreshing beverage to be served in your honor but lo! out of the corner of your eye you spy the tokonoma has once again suffered Gajin molestation and your prized Nodachi has once again been removed and replaced with a Mugo pine from Austria.

The Shogun says me must not needlessly slaughter these Europeans as we need their rifles to slaughter our cousins a valley over and so with a heavy heart you bow your head and take in the splendour of your Katana,Wakizashi,Tanto and Aikuchi.

You realize these westerners may never recognise the true significance of steel,a good curve and a wicked edge,prefering instead these trees with broken,bent and buckled foliage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Couldn't see any scale, maybe some reflections on wet needles from the flash. The dead (black) buds seemed to have some dried resin crusted around the bases, is that what you're referring to Vance? The few times I've had scale, aside from seeing the bugs themselves, it's the honeydew and/or black sooty residue that has been the leading indicator.

Junmilo, it is not necessary to mist pines at this time of year.

When I enlarged the photo some white flecks, tear drop shaped, seem to be present on the needles especially, on the left side. If this is true this indeed Pine scale. Most people associate scale as a problem that attaches itself to the trunk or woody branches. Not so with Pine scale, it attacks the needles. Often you will find it in the little space between the needles in a bundle. This is where it usually starts. Once it spreads to the outside of the needles it is starting to get serious.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have not been able to discover the reason for this thread crawling from the archives?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You realize these westerners may never recognise the true significance of steel,a good curve and a wicked edge,prefering instead these trees with broken,bent and buckled foliage.
This is a pretty poignant observation.
I think Klytus was really a genius.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is a pretty poignant observation.
I think Klytus was really a genius.
Kind of reminds me of what they used to say of the composer Tchichowski (sp?); Was he just the tormented musical genius or just another old pouf who wrote show tunes.

Top Bottom