Just Bought Another Juniper (my third so far) and I said I wouldn’t

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am open to suggestions for shaping and wiring as the tree grows in development. Literati and upright informal are interesting to me. Would love some insights.

Attachments

• IMG_7722.jpeg
    IMG_7722.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7726.jpeg
    IMG_7726.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7725.jpeg
    IMG_7725.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7727.jpeg
    IMG_7727.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7721.jpeg
    IMG_7721.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 57

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The juniper is very young so you can do almost anything with it. There does not appear to be anything that would suggest one style over any others so just pick something and work towards developing appropriate trunk and branching for that style.
You have not included any location in your profile. Most bonsai tasks are very seasonal so it is important to know where in order to advise what.
For instance, wiring and bending junipers during spring growth flush can cause severe dieback. Much safer to bend juniper late summer through winter.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Research and look at a lot of juniper photos and live trees and explore what you like to see become of this young small juniper. Then you have a helpful guideline that matches up to what you imagined this tree could be, or what you wanted for an outcome, when you bought it. The exploration at this early level of development will help you turn this into a tree style that appeals to you. And, focus on maintaining the health and growth of the juniper.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The juniper is very young so you can do almost anything with it. There does not appear to be anything that would suggest one style over any others so just pick something and work towards developing appropriate trunk and branching for that style.
You have not included any location in your profile. Most bonsai tasks are very seasonal so it is important to know where in order to advise what.
For instance, wiring and bending junipers during spring growth flush can cause severe dieback. Much safer to bend juniper late summer through winter.

- Charlottesville VA, 7b
- 3 total trees, all green mound Junipers
- All are in development for several years
- After that, I will change medium and pots for
refinement stage

I am interested in a literati style. Does that generally mean that branches and foliage will be at the top 2/3 of the tree and higher? I am thinking I would like it 3 feet in height or more.

I created a portfolio for Juniper tree care in every season, down to the daily and weekly tasks/actions (horticulture, wiring, pruning, everything) to perform, also according to both stages of tree life: Development and Refinement. So far, I have every detail written/typed on paper and into a binder. I just need to now allow the time to come for each action. So far, I’m two months into a lifelong love and hobby.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
- Charlottesville VA, 7b
- 3 total trees, all green mound Junipers
- All are in development for several years
refinement stage

I am interested in a literati style. Does that generally mean that branches and foliage will be at the top 2/3 of the tree and higher? I am thinking I would like it 3 feet in height or more.

I created a portfolio for Juniper tree care in every season, down to the daily and weekly tasks/actions (horticulture, wiring, pruning, everything) to perform, also according to both stages of tree life: Development and Refinement. So far, I have every detail written/typed on paper and into a binder. I just need to now allow the time to come for each action. So far, I’m two months into a lifelong love and hobby.

Please put your location info on your profile.
No one is going to remember it being posted here nor will they look for it

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
refinement stage
Earlier the better for establishing into bonsai soil. At least at the stage this is at now.
(Not when it's a new-ish cutting)
Now, actually, is my preferred time to repot procumbens.
End of April till Mothers Day.

I wouldn't recommend 3 ft high.
If you're set on 3 ft, get one from a big box store already staked and grown for topiary, reduce roots late Summer or late April by oh say 60% and work bonsai soil in. It can go right back into the same pot or pond baskets work really well for shimpaku, so no doubt procumbens would take well to a pond basket. 20230509_155752.jpg
Here's a shimpaku juniper in a pond basket a couple of years.
The pond basket with good bonsai soil is good for the development of the trunk, and the roots become air pruned naturally.
20230509_155954.jpg
This shimpaku was moved from a pond basket last Spring.
I've left a sacrificial branch on it
The procumbens to the left was repotted recently.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am interested in a literati style. Does that generally mean that branches and foliage will be at the top 2/3 of the tree and higher?
There are many forms of literati. All have abbreviated foliage and many in just the top section of the tree.
Literati initially looks very easy - long trunk and just a bit of foliage. How difficult could that be? Turns out to be one of the more difficult styles to do well which accounts for so few at exhibitions. Many have tried and few have succeeded but don't let that put you off. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Just letting you know it is not an easy one.
Maybe try an informal upright while you wait. Quicker and easier to achieve a reasonable result to give you some encouragement while developing the legendary literati.

I am thinking I would like it 3 feet in height or more.
3 feet high is a big tree. Hope you are young with a strong back or have many friends with strong arms but not so smart that you can take advantage of.
Also need to be aware that junipers are generally slow growing, even in the ground. I'm not familiar with Green Mound but unless it grows way faster than shimapku I think you may need to revise your 'several years' program out to maybe 10 or more. It may take that long even to reach 3 feet tall then add more years to thicken the trunks and develop some branches.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Earlier the better for establishing into bonsai soil. At least at the stage this is at now.
(Not when it's a new-ish cutting)
Now, actually, is my preferred time to repot procumbens.
End of April till Mothers Day.

I wouldn't recommend 3 ft high.
If you're set on 3 ft, get one from a big box store already staked and grown for topiary, reduce roots late Summer or late April by oh say 60% and work bonsai soil in. It can go right back into the same pot or pond baskets work really well for shimpaku, so no doubt procumbens would take well to a pond basket. View attachment 487253
Here's a shimpaku juniper in a pond basket a couple of years.
The pond basket with good bonsai soil is good for the development of the trunk, and the roots become air pruned naturally.
View attachment 487254
This shimpaku was moved from a pond basket last Spring.
I've left a sacrificial branch on it
The procumbens to the left was repotted recently.
Thank you for the advice and sharing the pics of your awesome trees! Much appreciated.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Research and look at a lot of juniper photos and live trees and explore what you like to see become of this young small juniper. Then you have a helpful guideline that matches up to what you imagined this tree could be, or what you wanted for an outcome, when you bought it. The exploration at this early level of development will help you turn this into a tree style that appeals to you. And, focus on maintaining the health and growth of the juniper.
100% will do

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s my goal in the 7b area I live in. End of Spring minor prune, end of summer prune (tree my first juniper is flushing nicely) and then wire in Autumn.

Top Bottom