Just bought it and I think it’s dying help

Hallen1997

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a mini jade I purchased two weeks ago. I started to notice this brown stuff on what I thought was an old cut branch spot but it has since grown up the tree. There have been small nat looking bugs flying around. I have two other trees that are perfectly healthy and am not sure what went wrong. Thanks. Also the picture of the soil possibly has some small white web.

Attachments

• 33C69CCA-1A38-4E1B-B3F2-989673428254.jpeg
    33C69CCA-1A38-4E1B-B3F2-989673428254.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 35F6501A-A6C9-4848-B89F-2A6DA8CAD50A.jpeg
    35F6501A-A6C9-4848-B89F-2A6DA8CAD50A.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 85

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
From the pics, it looks like some type of bug, did you notice anything within the crevices of the damage area or on the ground?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
From the pics, it looks like some type of bug, did you notice anything within the crevices of the damage area or on the ground?
I think the same. It almost looks like borer damage....but on a P. Afra??? Weird.
I dunno, very strange.
I've had one of these trees for 5 years plus many cuttings, never seen this.
Hopefully someone knows.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I agree, thats some kind of a bug. I wonder if you could apply a systemic. Whatever you do, do it soon before it has irreparable damage.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gnats aren't likely related.

That isn't a wonderful environment for Jade.

Locate it, and kill it.

Figure out the rest later, perhaps rooting it above the damage.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just saying what I would do if it was mine. Take some cuttings above the damage, soak them in warm soapy water for a few hours. Let them dray and callous a few days and root them. I would bag the old plant up and through it in the garbage, or today I would throw in in the wood stove. Sterilize the pot it was in and run it through the dishwasher.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The flying bugs are likely fungus gnats, they breed in wet, organic soil and the larvae eat the roots. It appears to me your soil is too wet and you probably also have a fungus infection along with the gnats. The damage on the stem looks like a borer of some sort. First back off on the watering a d get the gnats under control. You can use Bt or a pyrethrin/pyrethroid insecticide for the gnats.

Hallen1997

Seedling
Reaction score
Just to tie this thread up. I placed the tree outside and let the soil dry out as well as sprayed a 3 in 1 bug killer on it. It worked great. The tree is alive and well. I have another post asking about pruning advice if you want to give that a shot.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Jade hates watering. Well, once in a while.....but seldom.

Top Bottom